Life chances rich vs poor in the UK

If you are born into one of the UK's poorer families, you are likely to die 10 years younger than someone born into a wealthy family. This is how the rest of your life might compare.

16/04/2019 19:11updated: 16/04/2019 19:22
  • 107.7k

• Charles P.
    16/04/2019 19:58

I know it's UK, but still interesting

• Linda D.
    19/04/2019 00:58

Music is horrible....

• Hannah J.
    21/04/2019 16:05

You don’t have to be poor to succeed in life..... you may be born in poor family, having education in a main stream school gives you success and wealth what ever you choose to do with life

• Kasey O.
    21/04/2019 20:51

reply to this bc I want to watch it later

• Tom F.
    21/04/2019 21:31

- is the average Oxbridge starting salary really ~£46k??

• Alejandro F.
    22/04/2019 07:37

Load of garbage

• Sean H.
    22/04/2019 09:09

I think it's trying to highlight the disparity between the two classes. This is present however it's not nesscarily bad, their parents would have been smart enough and worked hard enough to get that for their kids and we shouldn't blame them for that. Anyone can, if they work hard enough, break into that societal class. The state education system however is failing, there needs to be more money sent to state schools as classes can easily get to over 30 and in some of my alevel classes I have 25+ people because of a lack of money. Things need to change for the state school system.

• Sophie C.
    22/04/2019 10:31

Wtf at 18 it’s our old uniform and lit outside the school

• Aymara S.
    22/04/2019 18:31

me vs u (I’m the poor one)

• Gary B.
    23/04/2019 19:51

Everybody is looking for an excuse why they cant instead of using what they have to better themselves

• Eleanor H.
    24/04/2019 19:46

interesting ...

• Layla G.
    25/04/2019 06:37

honestly woulda never thought all these

• Rezaul K.
    25/04/2019 10:20

Everything starts from family biggest achievement even a poor family can do is support the child in many ways till they can achieve their goal. I am poor too but there are other people who so much worst of then me. But if you want children to succeed you must put effort and try your best in every interest..

• Rosie W.
    27/04/2019 06:54

looks like you’ll be dead soon you pauper

• Melanie R.
    01/05/2019 08:03

There isn't much stopping you from going to university and getting a good job no matter your background. Nottingham has 2 unis. Most of the unis in the UK aren't even that hard to get in into and you get a larger maintenance loan if your parents don't have a good income. It is a lot harder to get into any creative industries if your family don't have much money or connections though. However most health and social care jobs are pretty accessible to people from all backgrounds.

• Ann A.
    04/05/2019 10:34

What a load of negativity!!! Anybody can do well for them selfs just takes a bit of hard work.

• Rachael K.
    05/05/2019 05:04

He wasn't poor because he was born into a poor family. He was poor because he dropped out if school, then no one wanted to hire someone without any education. These are bad life choices, but they don't hold you back unless you let them.

• Ashtyn W.
    11/05/2019 05:28

This isn’t true idc where you live I was born into a middle class family once my parents divorced I live with my dad I have had to eat out of a lot of food pantries he tried to give us a better life than he had but had too many felonies he’s the best dad still to me for trying to make sure we have everything. I got a 3.8 gpa in school and am now going to the college of my dreams literally for vet technician💛 you just have to work for what you want and make good choices, I’m hoping I can take care of my dad cause he took care of me.

• Jay A.
    11/05/2019 11:51

Victim mentality....at its finest...

• Kingsley O.
    11/05/2019 12:08

Be happy you weren’t born in a poor African country or in poor Central American countries or even Phillipines! When you are poor , you are poor there.