Life chances rich vs poor in the UK

If you are born into one of the UK's poorer families, you are likely to die 10 years younger than someone born into a wealthy family. This is how the rest of your life might compare.

16/04/2019 19:11updated: 16/04/2019 19:22
  • 89.9k

• Charles P.
    16/04/2019 19:58

I know it's UK, but still interesting

• GamerN3
    17/04/2019 19:33

Vote Corbin

• Linda D.
    19/04/2019 00:58

Music is horrible....

• Hannah J.
    21/04/2019 16:05

You don’t have to be poor to succeed in life..... you may be born in poor family, having education in a main stream school gives you success and wealth what ever you choose to do with life

• Kasey O.
    21/04/2019 20:51

reply to this bc I want to watch it later

• Tom F.
    21/04/2019 21:31

- is the average Oxbridge starting salary really ~£46k??

• Alejandro F.
    22/04/2019 07:37

Load of garbage

• Sean H.
    22/04/2019 09:09

I think it's trying to highlight the disparity between the two classes. This is present however it's not nesscarily bad, their parents would have been smart enough and worked hard enough to get that for their kids and we shouldn't blame them for that. Anyone can, if they work hard enough, break into that societal class. The state education system however is failing, there needs to be more money sent to state schools as classes can easily get to over 30 and in some of my alevel classes I have 25+ people because of a lack of money. Things need to change for the state school system.

• Sophie C.
    22/04/2019 10:31

Wtf at 18 it’s our old uniform and lit outside the school

• Aymara S.
    22/04/2019 18:31

me vs u (I’m the poor one)

• Gary B.
    23/04/2019 19:51

Everybody is looking for an excuse why they cant instead of using what they have to better themselves

• Eleanor H.
    24/04/2019 19:46

interesting ...

• Layla G.
    25/04/2019 06:37

honestly woulda never thought all these

• Rezaul K.
    25/04/2019 10:20

Everything starts from family biggest achievement even a poor family can do is support the child in many ways till they can achieve their goal. I am poor too but there are other people who so much worst of then me. But if you want children to succeed you must put effort and try your best in every interest..

• Cameron B.
    26/04/2019 07:40

Fuck this! I was born on one of the most deprived estates in a little town of Somerset being bought up by a single mum with 4 boys! I was given piano lessons at school and did dance and art and technology. I moved to London by myself at 16 to train at a musical theatre college costing £3,000 a term. I grew up very fast, worked very hard I had 3 successful years of performing after college took a career change and now I’ve just bought my first flat in London! Don’t let your roots ground you but let them make you grow! Maybe they should do a study on how many of these “rich kids” have serious mental health issues, daddy issues, pushed too far by pushy parents, never understood the true value of money, realising what drugs/sex/ alcohol means because to be honest most of my very wealthy friends all became pretty fucked up.

• Rosie W.
    27/04/2019 06:54

looks like you’ll be dead soon you pauper

• Melanie R.
    01/05/2019 08:03

There isn't much stopping you from going to university and getting a good job no matter your background. Nottingham has 2 unis. Most of the unis in the UK aren't even that hard to get in into and you get a larger maintenance loan if your parents don't have a good income. It is a lot harder to get into any creative industries if your family don't have much money or connections though. However most health and social care jobs are pretty accessible to people from all backgrounds.

• Demi S.
    02/05/2019 07:25

Alot of this is to do with school culture and environment. in state school, its the norm to act like a twat and you will be considered "cool" yet in private school being an achiever is considered a good thing because its what everyone does, not to mention they are far more likely to help you if your struggling because they have the available resources. rich people have the upper hand. they have far better connections. going to state school and going to uni doesn't promise you a job offer afterwards. money is power and your child has a far better start if you are well off. if i could i would send my kid to private school.

• Ann A.
    04/05/2019 10:34

What a load of negativity!!! Anybody can do well for them selfs just takes a bit of hard work.

• Rachael K.
    05/05/2019 05:04

He wasn't poor because he was born into a poor family. He was poor because he dropped out if school, then no one wanted to hire someone without any education. These are bad life choices, but they don't hold you back unless you let them.