Children's author Keith Negley redefines masculinity

"It's OK to show yourself not being tough. That was my way of showing bravery." Children's author Keith Negley tells us about the book he wrote for his son — and all boys. The Global Boyhood Initiative wants boys to be boys by embracing their emotions, too. This video has been produced in partnership with a brand

10/15/2020 4:02 PMupdated: 10/23/2020 11:01 AM

• Paula L.
    10/25/2020 17:08

Learning internal strength and fortitude, learning when to let “arrows” of insult ping off you like Superman.... and learning when and how the time has arrived to take an action...are all important tools to practice and refine. And all of these can be difficult while powerful hormones are being released (DUMPED really). As a single parent- it was my job to introduce him to options and experiences, do my best to explain emotions, and pray every night for him to make good choices. And... if their father isn’t involved, they at least have a trusted man to speak with.

• Velia F.
    10/25/2020 13:28

Thank u for sharing..u are a real help.. please keep sharing 👍👁️🙋

• Alice P.
    10/25/2020 05:13

Our society needs to allow boys to experience and talk about softer emotions, and it also needs to allow girls to say "no" and to be more assertive. Thank you for your desire and work with changing our toxic patriarchal conditioning.

• Gail O.
    10/24/2020 20:49

Good for him!!!

• Bobby J.
    10/24/2020 18:33

What a weak little crying woman . Cry baby needs a beating

• Donnie S.
    10/24/2020 17:48

So if you grew up to be so great from they way you were raised why do you feel the need for your child not to experience similar circumstances? That in its self its what's wrong with our youth Mod Flanders was right from the Simpson's. "What about the children!". What about em? We were all children once and we survived and thrived learning things on our own.

• Andrew W.
    10/24/2020 13:56

Bullying jezzzzz what happens to real men .

• Kasey W.
    10/24/2020 12:41

💙

• Bamm V.
    10/23/2020 18:36

This is important

• Mary M.
    10/23/2020 02:24

Girls have a hard time in life as well as boys and they get bullied just as well and this has gone on for years. I know I was one of those kids and I come up in the 60’s and happened then not just now days.

• Susie M.
    10/22/2020 23:59

Great job you are a great dad

• Dave O.
    10/22/2020 22:59

i'm not sure where this is going but all kids should be taught how to defend themselves. sometimes you can't walk away from a bully. And bullies look for the ones that won't defend themselves. i always tuaght my son Don't start it. Walk away if you can. If you can't ? Finnish it. I also made sure every principle knew my rule and i would stand behind my kid if this was the case. Not one ever disagreed with me.

• Robert J.
    10/22/2020 18:54

Never start a fight. And never run from one either.

• Ramon H.
    10/22/2020 17:20

I’m sorry but this guy is a huge wimp. If someone said anything like that to me as a kid it wouldn’t have even registered.

• Ian S.
    10/22/2020 16:09

Nice

• Ian S.
    10/22/2020 16:09

N

• Juanita M.
    10/22/2020 14:39

this was cool the book looked cool

• Tammy H.
    10/22/2020 02:05

I don't have kids but I do know the more sincere, humble and honest my parents (or anyone was/is to me) is a great learning moment. Someone's past mistake or weaknesses can become a connection and inspiration and passed on wisdom for others. I find great respect for the power of truth and wisdom people give to others. I think the more a person or parents hide their past, ignore or hides their imperfections and mistakes, it just keeps them stuck and carries on ignorance, repeated patterns and shame. Don't you want people to learn from you, especially your children?

• Joy B.
    10/22/2020 01:04

Im not sure whats worse, parents that are there and care but are oblivious Or parents who dont care at all and you cant count on them for anything. Blessings to this guy and his bravery. My memories of school was 6 years of a never ending nightmare. ☠

• Zack P.