The fight for paid family leave in America

One in 4 women go back to work within 10 days of giving birth. Only one other country on earth has this problem. Why is it so difficult for the U.S. to fund paid family leave?

The U.S. is the only industrialized country that does not federally mandate paid parental leave, but some large companies offer such benefits

What does the United States and Papua New Guinea have in common? They are the only nations that don’t offer paid leave for new parents. The U.S. only guarantees workers 12 weeks of unpaid leave under certain conditions — thanks to a law passed 26 years ago. Nancy Glynn didn’t have paid leave when her first son was born premature in 2012. Nancy’s second son passed away shortly after he was born.

Fighting for so long, not knowing if it would finally happen

American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists state that 1 in 4 American women go back to work within 10 days of giving birth. The U.S. Department of Labor statistics only 17% of workers have access to paid family leave. According to the National Partnership for Women and Families only 8 states which consists of New York State, Rhode Island, California, New Jersey, Washington, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Oregon and Washington, D.C., have adopted paid leave laws.

For so many Americans the opportunity to take paid leave doesn’t even exist felt morally wrong

New fathers are also calling for more time to bond with their newborns. Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian, husband of Serena Williams, and a fierce "dadvocate," spoke on the issue on MSNBC. There is a wide consensus in favor of paid leave. Based on stats from the Pew Research 82% of Americans think new mothers should receive paid leave. Politicians even agree on the matter. Even the president favors it. Republicans like Marco Rubio also support a change. Several proposals have been introduced, like the Family Act. Congress can't agree on how to fund universal paid leave, but in 2019, a bipartisan agreement was reached to provide 12 weeks of paid parental leave for all federal employees.

Brut.

12/17/2019 12:57 PMupdated: 12/17/2019 2:24 PM
  • 23.4k

• Angela P.
    01/01/2020 04:22

If you choose to have a child then it is your responsibility to make sure you put money away to cover your time out. It is not anyone else's responsibility to maintain you for that. As an adult is your responsibility to plan out for such things. I never expected an employer to pay for time for a birth of a child. Save vacation time and PTO for it and have money saved up.

• Carolyn S.
    01/01/2020 04:11

I had my son Jason on 4-1-83 at 1:40 in the afternoon by 5:oopm. I was at home the next day I was back at work.

• Michael B.
    12/28/2019 18:59

The company my daughter works for in Raleigh North Carolina gets four months maternity leave

• Lillian B.
    12/26/2019 16:51

Who should PAY for your leave?

• Christina C.
    12/24/2019 22:04

I can’t even imagine going back 10 dats after birth when at 7 days i still couldn’t stand for long periods of time then at 2weeks my stitches came and and dealing with that was hell.🤦🏾‍♀️

• Marisol P.
    12/21/2019 21:50

But why only an agreement for Federal employees? It should be for all Women and Men

• Derek W.
    12/21/2019 20:39

Sounds like one more reason not to hire women.

• Indra L.
    12/21/2019 00:34

First world country status. Lol

• Elsie W.
    12/19/2019 18:59

But if you know for 9 months that you are having a kid why cant you save back some money? I have to kids and i was off of work for 6 weeks for both. Dont know why some one else need to fix you problem and you cant do it yourself.

• Himel J.
    12/19/2019 14:23

U.S Medical System Suckssssss

• Osman I.
    12/19/2019 13:41

You said we are defending woman right more than any country where is that right on the ground?

• Daniel R.
    12/19/2019 00:35

& this idiots who are championing human rights even intruding in others countries affairs,how to run their country on how to apply human rights the way they treated their own people are hypocrites pigs masquerading as saints.

• Amy M.
    12/19/2019 00:28

, they're going to wait until after we're back from maternity leave to make it a mandatory thing dontcha know?😎

• Daniel S.
    12/18/2019 20:35

Toxic Capitalism created billionaires and turned the Middle Class into the Working Poor

• Stron B.
    12/18/2019 17:54

That's socialism Republicans hate that

• Jawad A.
    12/18/2019 16:17

Treating women like this is not a problem in western Corporate democracy or I should say white Corporate democracy

• Trainer M.
    12/18/2019 03:33

Beutey ful

• Teresa M.
    12/18/2019 02:05

I had a preemie and I only stay 2 months out, my company didn't had at that time pay maternity leave. With a broken heart I had to back to work in two months due to no pay maternity leave, leaving my 4 lbs baby with my mother in law, she was amazing helping me out.

• Wayne D.
    12/17/2019 22:40

It's called Corporate Greed..Companies care less about your health, than their profits and bottom line. How it is..how it will ALWAYS be.

• Cory K.
    12/17/2019 18:30

My wife and I made a plan because of not being able to take a leave and we did not like the idea of someone else basicly raising our child. So we both quit our jobs and got hired on as a on sight caretakers for a student housing facility. We arranged our hours so one of us was home with our son. It was still difficult and a very challenging job. But we were lucky to have the abilty to be home and see our son as he developed and share in all those important moments.