Debate gets heated over high school's Confederate name

“If the school was named after the Golden State killer, wouldn’t you want to change it?” These students and alumni are fighting to remove the name of Confederate general Robert E. Lee from their high school...

04/27/2021 12:57 PM

• Wolf D.
    07/16/2021 19:01

Don't you know you changed history you forget about it and it repeats itself dumbasses.

• Shaina N.
    07/11/2021 03:32

Abraham Lincoln also owned slaves. And George Washington. Keep picking and choosing our way into another civil war.

• Leslie C.
    05/25/2021 21:57

Im a direct descendent of Robert E Lee this part of the Lee family says ditch the name! My family was his property until somebody raped somebody. Of course they're saying it was consensual😂

• Dezzi L.
    05/24/2021 03:20

"Small snippet," No, we fought a war. Big snippet.

• Mary G.
    05/17/2021 01:37

Before and throughout the entire Civil War slaves, who were owned by Ulysses S. Grant’s wife Julia Dent, worked at Ulysses S. Grant’s White Haven home in Missouri, a Union slave state. I am against slavery. If the Civil War was started over the issue of slavery, why did President Lincoln choose Ulysses S. Grant to be his top general? Captain David Camden De Leon, a Jewish physician, was the first surgeon general of the Confederate States of America. I therefore find it strange that the CSA flag has become associated with that red flag with the black swastika in the middle. In 1862 General Grant issued Order No. 11 which ordered the expulsion of Jews living in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Missouri. As far as I know, General Robert E. Lee never ordered the expulsion of Jews living within the Confederacy and General Robert E. Lee’s slaves were freed in 1862. I do not know why some people associate statues of General Lee and the Confederate flag with antisemitism. Many Confederate soldiers were Jewish. I never hear about people protesting the presence of statues of General Grant because of his antisemitic Grant Order No. 11. A number of times in the past I have voted for African-American candidates at various Duval County polling/voting sites. If I am/was a racist, why would I find myself voting for African-Americans? I am not a racist.

• Blondine A.
    05/11/2021 15:40

Robert Lee was a Raptist of children, slave owner, and a murderer. Also he committed Treason against this country. His name should gave never been put on any building in this country.

• Lisa V.
    05/10/2021 21:17

The ignorance of troglodytes is astounding.

• Dana S.
    05/08/2021 20:14

I like Riverside High School. Avondale High School would not work since it really is in Riverside. What they really need to name it is Ronnie Van Zandt High.

• JA W.
    05/08/2021 01:07

That school was built in 1923 or 27 almost ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO, why is it just now offensive. Students both black and white have been graduating from Robert E. Lee for a very long time, to my knowledge it hasn't hindered anyone from success. Success or failure is a product of one's own desire to succeed. If they fail it is not because of the school's name they graduated from. Take responsibility for your own success and failures, stop blaming inanimate objects, put the blame where it belongs. Remember, everytime you point a finger and blame something for your problems there are three fingers pointing right back at you.

• Wendy W.
    05/07/2021 23:21

A whole lot of ignorance talking!!!

• Shelly J.
    05/06/2021 20:02

Dear Yt people, Nobody cares about confederate soldiers!! They are LOSERS and anyone with the flag is a LOSER!!!!

• Hannelore M.
    05/05/2021 07:23

Still trying to change history ⁉️by changing a school name‼️🤔

• Kendra C.
    05/04/2021 04:49

These elderly people protesting the name change may want to go back to high-school as it seems they missed a crucial part of education in their history classes. Yikes 😳

• Susan C.
    05/04/2021 03:30

r e lee was a traitor.

• Frieda S.
    05/04/2021 03:10

Bobbie you are the best

• Frieda S.
    05/04/2021 03:05

Love u Bobbie

• Tee C.
    05/03/2021 19:42

So did the name get changed?

• Chris H.
    05/02/2021 23:49

I could care less about the name of 1 school....my question is where were all these people 10 years ago? Why is it just now all of a sudden a problem? If you didnt complain before, dont talk now. Dont jump on the bandwagon. If you were this passionate about it, you should have spoken up long before now.

• Emily E.
    05/02/2021 23:48

Loves women vs owning people. Quite different.

• Emily E.
    05/02/2021 23:45

I love the “recycle your year books” line. Classic.