Genetically modified mosquitoes released in Florida

750 million genetically modified mosquitoes have been released in Florida ... to combat their disease-spreading cousins already there.

08/29/2020 4:21 PM

• Andrew K.
    04/11/2021 20:54

Male Aedes aegypti are super spreaders of mosquito-borne diseases. For example, a male can mate with a female infected with Zika and acquire Zika through venereal transmission. That male can then mate 6 times per day with 6 different females every day of its life spreading Zika. In comparison, a female only mates once or twice in its life. Releasing nearly a billion male Aedes aegypti is incredibly dangerous and stupid. It is Darwin award stupid. Plus it failed in other countries. https://caymannewsservice.com/2018/11/gm-mosquitoes-didnt-work/

• Dawn M.
    09/01/2020 13:07

So is the goal to kill off the mosquito species? What then happens to our Florida Bat population? And so on and so on?

• James W.
    08/31/2020 20:39

Sounds like a great idea. And he reasons make sense. But messing with nature has never been successful

• Denby K.
    08/31/2020 10:50

We've meddled with nature before with disastrous consequences. Remember cane toads being released in Australia to eat the cane grubs? Yes,they ate everything else but. Did I mention they secrete venom? Lots of cats and dogs and indigenous fauna die from trying to eat these,they have no natural predators in Australia so proliferate unchecked. In South America where they originate there are animals that are immune to their venom and can eat them,hence they don't infest the habitat. Man,stop messing with nature, she's already got it right,learn from her.

• Avni S.
    08/31/2020 08:30

isn't this cool

• Berba M.
    08/31/2020 07:10

Bad

• Berba M.
    08/31/2020 07:10

Remember the Zika virus in Brazil its was by gmo mosquitoes from bill gates

• Mar T.
    08/31/2020 00:37

What could possibly go wrong. It's only 2020...

• Monday Lee
    08/30/2020 23:41

I contacted Hiv in 2017, I was told by my doctor that there's no possible cure for HEPATITIS. I started taking my ARV's, My CD4 was 77 and viral load was 112,450. I saw a website of Dr. Apala also I saw a lot of testimonials about him on how he uses herbal medicine to cure HEPATITIS. I contacted him and told him my problems, He sent me the herbal medicine and I took it for 14 days after then I went for check-up and I was cured. The medicine has NO SIDE EFFECT, there's no special diet when taking the medicine. He also cure ALS, HEPATITIS B, CANCER, HERPES, DIABETES and lots more. You can reach him on e-mail [email protected] WhatsApp +2349051798469 https://www.facebook.com/drapalaherbalhome/

• Ahsan T.
    08/30/2020 21:38

Are these mosquitoes are the one that caused dengue outbreak in Pakistan?

• Julio G.
    08/30/2020 20:48

Can this possibly back fire?mosquitos serve a purpose in our eco system.many birds,bats and other insects feed off these things

• Dweeze E.
    08/30/2020 18:43

I wonder what the price tag is for modifying mosquitos.

• Zahid B.