My first day in America - Episode 4: Jean-Pierre's story

Here's why Jean Pierre feels like every day is Christmas after arriving in the U.S.

His inspiring story

Brut. spends the day with Jean-Pierre as he walks us through what his first day in America was like.

My first day in America, it was a surprise. It was a miracle to find myself in this situation. I couldn't believe, I couldn't understand how this existed, because this is something I could not imagine in my mind. In my dream, I've never thought of this.”

He and his family spent 20 years in a refugee camp in Uganda

They came to the U.S. via a partnership with the United Nations Human Rights Campaign. “My first landing was in the New York City. So, this is the place I came in for my first time in November 2016. American people helped me, they demonstrated they taught me how to use a kitchen and more especially to use the microwave, the stove… The microwave was something which was —I don't know how to describe it, but — it was something which was very confusing where, you can put water, you can put food, you warm it up, you eat. We used three stoves, you put something on the ground, and you throw it. Just you put that pan, you put the firewood. But here just the fire comes you get it. Everything is simple now.”

Help from the volunteers

“So, the bread was something which interested me because where I'm from, to get bread, it was very difficult. One of the volunteers, she took us to the grocery stores. That was giant stores. So we could see a lot of stuff. Different types of foods, South American foods that were there. But it was for us new to see that kind of bread. And then, it was very expensive, you know. But here, to afford it was very easy for me. And I was surprised to see that.”

“Every day is Christmas here.”

“For us to get Christmas, it needs preparation, some months and months in preparation. Collecting some money to buy food, buy meat. But here it's different. But here in America, everything is simple. You don't need to struggle for that.”

Brut.

02/19/2020 11:27 AM
  • 25.5k

• Riccardo M.
    05/24/2020 13:20

so che a te piace 😋😎

• Issah A.
    03/01/2020 02:19

Wait a minute they thought you how to use microwave? Which part of Africa are you from? Cos almost everyone in Africa knows how to use that..Anyway welcome to America..The land if the blinds..I am happy for you..America is a wonderful country depending on your behavior and your hard work..Welcome brother

• Agnes K.
    03/01/2020 02:04

Imana inshimwe cyane kandi ironge icubahiro.Amen 🙏

• Kemi W.
    02/29/2020 23:00

Welcome! I hope the Democratic Republic of Congo will be free from wars and violence and be filled with prosperity

• Tasew M.
    02/29/2020 13:40

God bless America!!!

• Elle B.
    02/28/2020 00:56

Welcome to America, and my hometown NY. ♥️🖤💚

• Harriet L.
    02/27/2020 23:50

I’m happy for you because, you were educated before coming to USA. Don’t forget Uganda people welcomed you.

• Maxence N.
    02/27/2020 16:10

Everyday like Christmas! Wait until you get you get a job 😝

• Abdul J.
    02/25/2020 22:44

America is a Great country but they wanna put immigrants out this country those fascist governments and racist government they forget their grand parents was came in this country as an immigrant also

• Jiovanni S.
    02/25/2020 21:38

Crap, there are high rise buildings in Kinshasa and in Kampala. There are microwaves and every thing the Americans have in America. These guy is selfish just every refugee who lies about their country just to gain refugees status in the west. These white humanitarian organizations need to be expelled from Africa. They are living large and sending their kids to prestigious colleges by begging (fabricating) that Africans are savages or are abused. Give me a break. These freaking lie of humanitarian abuses us a tool to steal Africa's riches. That is exactly why the Congo is torn with wars so that in the back ground the west can steal its resources. Gold, Diamond and numerous of other minerals including oil.

• Wanda C.
    02/25/2020 08:58

Welcome to America

• Shafea A.
    02/25/2020 07:02

You are going to hate everything when you start to work and everything goes to Uncle Tom

• Jean L.
    02/25/2020 05:38

Indeed his country perhaps is richer than America based on natural ressosurces and the continent [Africa] he comes from is the most richest continent in the world. However, Jean Pierre has never seen a microwage there. The thing is, when you are from a country where corruption, impunity, inequality, injustice is the king and human rights is like just a fairytale, you basically lost your right to live. So, WELCOME to America JEAN Pierre, the founding fathers created this great nation for people like you and me and others to have a chance to exist and to live as a human being.

• Volo D.
    02/23/2020 22:15

Glad to see him happy thanks to the great nation on earth but sometimes people assume that all refegees are like him poor ignorents.

• Debbie M.
    02/23/2020 19:23

Welcome

• Hilda M.
    02/23/2020 16:59

Yes America is Christmas everyday but you have to work hard to afford all you see.

• Lucy C.
    02/23/2020 14:31

Very interesting story, Mr. Jean Pierre and we're glad you escaped the violence in DRC and can enjoy life with family now. Praying for African Continent and its future as the war and violence, neither the political turmoil are the best ways to live and flourish in Society Africa needs leaderships patriotic to the nations and with the best interests of the people and Countries at foremost stand Africa can do better if the leaderships can have a clear vision of the Countries and further the Continental agendas for progress and development in the current situations and for future generations to come

• Felicia F.
    02/23/2020 14:29

This is what makes America great the kindness towards humanity and God bless America

• Deborah S.
    02/23/2020 12:12

The simple things we took for granted. Is a struggle for someone else.

• Kwasi O.
    02/22/2020 17:51

Maybe jean-Pierre should ask himself why his country is still at war 60 years after independence and why he is a refugee in the first place . The answer will surprise him.