The spokesperson for the Wet’suwet’en rises up against the Canadian State

"Canada has never respected indigenous governments" They've been fighting against a pipeline project on their lands for weeks. Molly Wickham is the spokerperson for the Wet'suwet'en people. She speaks out against the State.

“Canada has never respected indigenous governments.”

Since early February, many indigenous Canadians have been in the streets blocking trains to protest the Coastal GasLink gas pipeline project. This 670 km long pipeline will cross the Wet’suwet’en people’s territory. Molly Wickam, a spokesperson for this community, revolted against the State.

Brut.

02/22/2020 9:38 AMupdated: 03/31/2020 3:56 PM
  • 43.0k

• Steve H.
    03/31/2020 19:44

Heard on NPR radio that project is going forward...

• Michael W.
    03/31/2020 16:46

Why didnt they just move the pipe north or south of their land

• Brut nature
    03/31/2020 16:38

In February, protests in support of the Wet'suwet'en people spread across Canada. A look back at the still ongoing fight:

• Don A.
    03/31/2020 16:31

I stand with Molly I’m south of your boarded but I know what’s right and what’s wrong and I will always stand with her 👍🏻🇨🇦👍🏻

• Maggie P.
    03/03/2020 04:08

Single fricken parents are loosing their ability to feed their F**King KIDS!!! Omg how selfish can people be?

• Gordon M.
    03/01/2020 05:24

Hi Molly, I listened to your presentation and would like to make a few comments and ask a few questions. I grew up in a fishing commmunity in NL where hunting and fishing provided a good deal of our food source. If someone had decided to run a pipeline through our 'lands' we would have had very little to say about it firstly because it would have had little or no impact on the land and secondly because it is public land and we do not consider that we own it as you folks qant to. Now fracking I would have a problem with but I understand this is a pipeline not an oil or gas well we are talking about so I don't see why you brought it up. We have been beset with many problems here brought about by bad governance, industrial/comercial pollution and mismanagement however we have not gone to extreme measures such as I have seen your folks using 'as shown on TV'. If we shut down every gas/oil well in Canada it will not make one bit of difference to the amount of oil and gas used in Canada or the rest of the world. Now if you were protesting to stop all of the foreign tankers that are bringing oil to our ports, the destruction of the caribou herds, the pollution of the salmon rivers and the pending demise of the salmon, yes this is happening here to, I might believe that you were not just using the environmental smoke screen to allow you to pursue more selfish agendas. If I am wrong I beg your forgiveness but this is honestly how I see the situation.

• Ross K.
    02/29/2020 02:11

People what do you think creates the tax revenue that pays for all the benefits we as Canadians enjoy. I assure you it isn’t rainbows, fairies, and happy thoughts!!!

• Paula E.
    02/27/2020 15:19

30k views but only 588 shares

• Dave C.
    02/27/2020 14:32

Sounds kinda familiar.

• Irene M.
    02/27/2020 13:39

Shame on Canada.

• Mike B.
    02/26/2020 04:47

Throwing people/ Canadians under the bus to further your agenda is a very capitalist thing to do...which makes the Wet'suwet'en and their supporters just a bunch of thilthy capitalist pig dogs like the rest of them.

• Edmond D.
    02/25/2020 22:31

What?! You mean to tell me that soyboy trudeau,doesn't respect and accept ethnic diversity???

• Jean C.
    02/25/2020 18:03

This pipeline is so awful. My heart goes out to you molly.

• Om K.
    02/24/2020 19:20

Canada where a bunch of white peace doves drove out the natives and opened up the flood gates via mass immigration policies to Islamic radicals who don’t believe in Canadian values and instead want conservative radical Islamic Sharia laws as opposed to white collar selective immigration which contributes to the economy in a positive way.

• Brandie L.
    02/24/2020 14:14

Thank you molly, maybe some ppl will open their eyes to the so natural gas, stay safe, and wishing you, baby an family all the best 💗💗

• Kate M.
    02/24/2020 10:07

LIKE WHAT UNCLE BERNIE SAID FRACKING

• Maggie P.
    02/24/2020 06:36

why does one small segment of a country fell it has the RIGHT to stop 16,000 people ( yes this was a small figure from the beginning of of this PROTEST) from carrying out their daily lives and wishes? Who the hell do you think you are??????? the rail companies have had to lay off 1000 ACTUAL PEOPLE (with families I might add) because you folks can't figure out who you want to side with????? I understand the soverenty etc. BUT AGAIN I HAVE SEEN THIS SAME THING WITH MANY BANDS. You have NO RIGHT to mess up a whole contry over what is essentially....INTERNAL POLITICS!!!!!!!!!!1

• Maggie P.
    02/24/2020 06:27

Bands undermine them selves.I live where there are 3 or 4 bands. 2 are 1 who could not get along so they split and as a result the oilfield companies are held hostage to 2 sets of demands based on a line on the ground that is 50 meters wide!!!!!!!!! Who ever squeels loudest gets work and benefits. The ones complaining the loudest are the ones who put workers in the feild with no PPE ( booots, hard hats,safety gear) they are also the ones who have workers who dont show up for 2 or3 days after payday!! As a Metis I work my fu*ckinf Ass off. I don't need people making my life difficult cuz they can't follow basic employment rules

• Maggie P.
    02/24/2020 06:18

i have as a pipeline worker spoken to several different bands and the common comment from the persons I have spoen to is....If we complain and try to block they will PAY us more...I have this directly from band members on 3 different projects. Oil and Gas AND Hydro....... So SORRY I am VERY suspicious of any and ALL complaints from bands. I have heard this before... The elected council does NOT speak for ALL of us. Whicj means that the non-council members aren't going to get the work. So they decide to file a lawsuit to stop their own people from getting what they fell is an unfair advantage. STOP using our courts and PEOPLES FRICKEN LIVES to settle internal Band Politics!!!!!!!1

• Gordon K.