DACA activist who worked for Trump

@ricardoacanyc, a DACA recipient, worked in a Trump property. Now, he wants to change the narrative about DREAMers.

Asking for a more permanent solution to immigration

In 2015, Ricardo Aca decided to come out of the shadow and share his story as an undocumented worker at a hotel owned by Donald Trump in New York City. Aca is one of over 700,000 DACA recipients awaiting a decision from the Supreme Court in a lawsuit challenging the Trump administration's decision to terminate the DACA program. The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program was introduced in 2012 by President Obama. It protects people who were brought into the U.S. as children, from deportation and provides them with work permits.

“Super important to undo all of the damage that President Trump has done”

“If we were able to share the stories of each and every single person that is undocumented, then people will be able to see that we're just like anybody else. When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. Personally, being a Mexican immigrant and also working at a hotel at a restaurant that was located in one of his hotels, I felt really offended because this is not who I was. I felt like I needed to come out of the shadows. I felt like I needed to respond, and I needed to say something. I was able to kind of show my story from the perspective of like, I'm just like an American person, like anybody else, like I am here because I want to be able to have better opportunities because I want to be able to go to college. I want to be able to have a better job. I want to be able to fulfill the dreams and my want that my parents wanted me to fulfill. But I work really hard for them and I'm not really taking anything from anybody”, Ricardo Aca tells Brut.

11 million undocumented immigrants

Now a fierce advocate for immigrants’ rights, Aca hopes to change the "perfect" narrative around DACA recipients – who are often referred to as DREAMers

Brut.

01/11/2020 10:57 AM
  • 51.2k

• Maggie C.
    01/31/2020 21:05

We need to help our own people!!!

• Diana H.
    01/31/2020 20:30

How do you think that you belong here? Do you really think that we owe you anything? Does your country not have the same rights as our country? No it doesn't, but we are supposed to have you take our jobs, take advantage of the benefits we give to our people, because they work for it, pay taxes on it. But not yall. It's about what can I get for free today!!!!

• Feather R.
    01/31/2020 16:39

Illegal is illegal. PERIOD

• Jav M.
    01/31/2020 12:05

Dont blame trump....it's your parents ..they fukd up

• Teresa C.
    01/30/2020 20:10

The only people who can change your DACA status is you. Any DACA recipient can get to legal citizenship if you work hard, save up, and file citizenship papers. If you manage to get pass 10 years in the US without an effort to be a legal status, let’s not narrate how Trump all of a sudden is the problem. Trump is not President to be accused of lawlessness. Being a DACA (unlawful presence) that long lies in the dereliction of duty by parents and of age recipients.

• George L.
    01/30/2020 17:33

Only an idiot (or a democrat who hates Trump and says it knowing that it is not true), may believe that any opinion is intended to reflect 100% ... but it is a reality that the vast majority of Mexican and Central American immigrants responds to an extremely low socio-economic and cultural profile. TRUMP 2020!

• Fernando N.
    01/30/2020 02:44

Lots of demands from people who aren't even citizens of the country.

• Jake B.
    01/30/2020 02:36

No problems with people coming here the right way. There are many people from Mexico who are still waiting to be granted citizenship who came here the legal way. Why is it that you believe you should be granted this before those waiting in line. If families came here and didn’t go on government assistance no problem. The fact is too many do. Why is it that American citizens are denied medical benefits for free and illegals get it.

• Endi L.
    01/28/2020 23:03

I don't like trump either but can someone explain to me why if Obama like the Immigrant so much why didn't he make the illegals citizens or gave them their green card he was in office for 8 years. instead just the DACA knowing that DACA was temporary. I think he just wanted to look good. I dont think he cared about immigrants.

• Charlie R.
    01/28/2020 21:05

Quit being cowards and fight for your country we go to war for ours God bless America

• Charlie R.
    01/28/2020 21:03

If your a legal citizen of America you good we Americans it's those who aren't crying the most

• David A.
    01/28/2020 14:53

I'm not sure how old you are now but I'm guessing well past the almost 15 years of age from when you came here. So my question to you and the rest of the people in your same situation is what have you done in the time you have been here to get yourselves legal ?

• David A.
    01/28/2020 12:27

Vote Blue. Unity. United States of America.

• Srick T.
    01/27/2020 22:38

You deserve nothing. If you came illegally as child that is different. If you came here illegally as an adult you knowingly broke our laws. As an American citizen when I break the law I get put in jail. Same should apply to you

• Marla M.
    01/27/2020 21:33

This guy needs to respect the laws of the country. Stop blaming our president for your parents illegal acts. He is ONLY protecting His people the best way he can. God bless the USA and God bless our President Trump. Trump 2020

• Neiska J.
    01/27/2020 14:57

🙏

• Alma B.
    01/27/2020 13:02

May God help y'all with your dreams. . God bless y'all

• William Y.
    01/27/2020 12:18

VOTE VOTE VOTE 2020 👇🏾 https://youtu.be/wMALeR1i-FM https://youtu.be/HG3GD5am-UQ 🇺🇸Our democracy is stronger with everyone involved. 💪🏾There’s power gained when you vote and when you don’t vote. I’m posting and SHARING SHARING SHARING this with everyone everyday on everything politically affiliated... please do the same and make sure our impact is HUGE... we need everyone’s voice in 2020. In addition, make sure your registered, check to make sure you haven’t been purged from voter rolls and get with all your family & friends to go vote this upcoming and every future election. Make sure your vote counts. 👇🏾 https://youtu.be/wMALeR1i-FM https://youtu.be/HG3GD5am-UQ

• Benjamin C.
    01/26/2020 19:51

Well he broke the law when he crossed the border illegally, he broke the law when he was working without a green card or working visa. He probably broke the law when hired by giving a fake ID or stolen ID, so he can get hired. These alone should put him in prison, ten's to a couple of hundred dollars in fines, and deportation.

• Alexander S.
    01/25/2020 23:28

Get in line! Just like everybody else!!! It’s UNFAIR for those of us who came here legally and pay our fees!!!😏 put that thru ur thick heads!!