Some CEOs Make 1,000x More Than Their Employees

The gap between CEO and employee pay is the widest it has ever been. Abigail Disney, a vocal critic of wage inequality at The Walt Disney Company, wants to see a more level pay scale. 💰

CEOs Salaries Over 1000x Their Employees

The gap between CEO and employee pay is the highest it’s ever been. In an interview with Fast Company, heiress Abigail Disney spoke out against the massive pay disparity at Disneyland. When they’re being treated that badly, you might have to ask why? Disney CEO Bob Iger makes $65.7 million a year —1,424 times his average employee. In 1965, the CEO-to-worker pay ratio was 20 to 1. In 2019, it’s nearly 300 to 1. CEOs like James Quincey (Coca-Cola) Kevin Johnson (Starbucks) Michelle Gass (Kohls) make over 1000 times their average employees. Mattel CEO Ynon Kreiz makes 3,408 times his average employee while Gap CEO Arthur L. Peck makes 3,566 times his average employee.

A disappointed Abigail Disney, Granddaughter of Roy Disney says, “When he got his bonus last year, not this year — I did the math and I figured out that he could’ve given personally, out of pocket, a 15% raise to everyone who worked at Disneyland and still walked away with $10 million. I went out to Anaheim and I sat with the union, and I listened to the workers who were getting paid minimum wage. Most of them couldn’t afford to live less than an hour and a half from Anaheim, where they worked. They had had benefits steadily stripped from them. People were choosing between insulin and housing. I mean this is horrifying. This is horrifying. I knew my grandfather and I worshipped the ground he walked on, and I know that was never the company he wanted to start.”

It is understandable that CEO’s don’t set their own salary. Few people do. But they do set salaries for the people who work underneath of them. So, if they’re not happy with the pay ratio at the firm, there are two possible ways to correct it — otherwise, it doesn’t look good.

Lower top executive salaries or raise the salary of others.

Brut.

05/03/2019 10:22 AMupdated: 05/03/2019 1:22 PM
  • 19.9k

• Anum N.
    05/03/2019 10:27

Oh plz universe make me CEO of billionaire company and I'll pay my employers equally

• Tim L.
    05/03/2019 13:02

Sure I want that job. Am I qualify to do it?

• Dillan L.
    05/03/2019 14:01

So now CEOs are in trouble for making more their employees? Hmm that's a new one, if you want to make more money get a better job. But most arent gonna do that because they are afraid to make the push. Or they think to much work is in the way. The only CEOs that are unfair are the Walmart family, that I do believe. They inherited the company from their Grandfather and never worked a day in their life. Patrons CEO created the company and drink so yeah he should make millions. Work harder if you want more!!

• Brut
    05/03/2019 15:14

America owes $1.5 trillion in student debt and 52% of college graduates are struggling to pay off their student loans. 💸3

• Susan P.
    05/03/2019 23:10

Yeah, let them pull themselves up by their bootstraps, as they say..

• Peter M.
    05/04/2019 03:42

It will backfire one day... big time.. and there will be blood

• Robert T.
    05/04/2019 03:57

to all you "work harder" people, enough already with that extremely tired BS narrative, it's by far not that simple and if you really think it is, then you have no clue as to what your talking about. There is one simple question that best illustrates why CEO's, for the most part, do not deserve the Lions share of any profits made by whatever company they head...... how much Money would that CEO make were there no employee's ??, and that applies to any and all employee's that work in another country..... If the CEO of whatever company they work "for/at/own" cannot produce all profits earned by said company on their own, with no help whatsoever, than their nothing more than a modern day "Robber Baron" this is compounded ten fold should they receive a "Golden Parachute" after making decisions that run said company into the ground.

• Rick D.
    05/04/2019 04:57

Who cares. Disney is a company built on corruption and child abuse. Fuck Disney.

• Dawn H.
    05/04/2019 19:52

Its getting pretty ridiculous when management realizes they need raises and increases in their work but figure the lowest paid employees dont. Sad.

• Terry R.
    05/05/2019 15:17

Whiners gonna whine!!

• Alan O.
    05/06/2019 16:02

I had to watch it again to make sure I identified who the last person was in the video; the CEO of Citigroup. I will make certain I do NOTHING to benefit him or his company.

• Mark M.
    05/18/2019 14:29

Funny. Seeing congress dictating salary when these crooks vote to raise their own salary