Microaggressions Against Natural Hair

New York and California are the only two states that ban race-based hair discrimination in the workplace. These POC professionals opened up about microaggressions they've experienced.

Black women suffer more anxiety around hair issues and spend more on hair care than their white peers

New York and California are the first two U.S. states to ban race-based hair discrimination. This is an experience that many have had in the workplace. Black women are almost twice as likely to experience social pressure at work to straighten their hair compared to white women according to the Perception Institute. The potential for ‘hair biases’ to limit both perceptions of self and opportunities in the workplace has a distinct effect on black women. Amid a growing natural hair movement among black women, can the science offer any solutions that can help reduce bias and promote positive perceptions of natural hair both for women themselves and among others who see them?

Black women are 80% more likely to alter their hair to meet social norms at work, and 50% more likely to be sent home or know a black woman who was sent home because of her natural hair. Some key findings confirm that black women suffer more anxiety around hair issues and spend more on hair care than their white peers. They are almost twice as likely to experience social pressure at work to straighten their hair compared to white women. Studies like The Perception Institute also concludes that “White women demonstrate the strongest bias — both explicit and implicit — against textured hair.” They rated it as “less beautiful,” “less sexy/attractive” and “less professional than smooth hair.” However, white women who are in contact with black women “naturalistas” demonstrated lower levels of bias. Given that white women make up a large majority of the 38% of female managers who decide what looks are appropriate for work, legal conflicts sometimes ensue.

The bottom line is that time, society shifts and cultural integration in the workplace along with more mainstream media, TV and movie appreciation of natural hair will ultimately move the needle forward towards wider acceptance to a point where these biases may be eroded or untaught.

Brut.

08/02/2019 12:03 PM
  • 423.1k

• Martin G.
    07/31/2019 06:39

WTF have I just watched.....???

• Julie S.
    07/30/2019 11:36

Confused....sooo you don't shave your legs but groom your eyebrows....just saying.....who is paying for this online advertising. 🤔🙄

• Verlorener E.
    07/30/2019 11:03

Oww

• Goldenskillz G.
    07/30/2019 09:28

Hello Guys Greetings To You All. My Name Is Golden Prince And I'm A Musician I Sing And I Rap Hip Hop. I'm From Africa Nigeria precisely. Guys I Need You To Help Me Share This Video Below It's The Continue Killings And Kidnapping Of Innocent School Girls By The Boko Haram and Fulani H Men. Here In Nigeria. It's Really Getting Out of Hands. And Instead Of My Fellow Nigerian Musicians To Steep Up Raise There Lovely Voice Sing About it For the Whole World To See And Hear What's Happening In There Mother Land There All Busy Partying And drinking Clubbing Forgetting if Nothing is Being Done By We The Youth Nigeria Might Just Become A History With The Way Things are going. Please Guys Help Me Watch Comment And Share this Music Video Until it Gets To the D. Trump. Thank you Guys For Your Understanding And Support GOD Bless You All. https://youtu.be/N7eJ-s6TBaU Wow I Bet This Music Video Will Make You Shared Tears, Watch The The Adoption Of Some Nigerian School Girls And The Killings Of Some Innocent Nigerians By The Boko Haram And Fulani H Men. Titled. Stop The Killings Who Be The Boko Golden Prince. Please Share With Your Friends and family Until This Message Gets To Mr President.

• Acharya H.
    07/30/2019 08:10

New badge

• Farooq A.
    07/30/2019 06:25

This is what Feminism has now come to,

• Aibie F.
    07/30/2019 03:55

if you feel like it then go n.

• Regina S.
    07/30/2019 00:22

Love your HAIR! There are 97 verses in the Bible about the importance of Hair. For the Civil War and WWI the Shaman Indians were hired for the power of their hair.

• Dee S.
    07/29/2019 23:42

Coming from Asia, I must say only in the western countries it seems that racism exist just because of hair.. do people really get racism slurs there just because of their hair?

• Anke P.
    07/29/2019 21:14

is this really racism if s.o. doesn't recognise you because you changed your hair??? It's normal. People do not recognise others if they chance parts of their aspect. If you don't wear the uniform you have in your workplace... If you've lost or gained weight...if they meet you in a totally different place than expected... yes, and also if you've changed your hair, even the colour of it. This is normal for everyone. I've experienced it, I'm white, i didn't feel embarassed. I just took it as a feedback that showed me that I looked different. That's all.

• Ivana A.
    07/29/2019 19:43

Everything stands, but this girl said “reintroducing yourself cause you didn’t recognize me cause I changed hairstyle” hahah I’ll reintroduce myself over and over again, when you change your hair, make up, clothes and when you take off your sunglasses

• Bernarka H.
    07/29/2019 19:20

Who cares?

• Ankush K.
    07/29/2019 17:45

No one cares if you have body hair or not . To walk around with a body full of hairs and wear XL or anything. What we do care is to not see this stupid video about society's idea for beauty standards. We all have preferences and maybe some people are in hairy bodies but most aren't . So it's your choice to shave your legs or not but it's our choice to find you attractive or not. You can't force anyone into liking you.

• Nupur S.
    07/29/2019 17:01

I don't get excited for Brushing my teeth too. Duh!!!

• Wassim B.
    07/29/2019 16:43

see tu peux t'épiler les jambes du coups , pour la soutenir

• Justin G.
    07/29/2019 16:36

You know someone is living the easy life when their gripe with society is based on hair or no hair.

• Amanda M.
    07/29/2019 15:10

Who gets excited to shave? If you want hairy legs & sascrotch then that is her perogative. But this isn’t empowerment...it’s preference. I’m not any less empowered by finding shaving to be more hygienic & being hairless. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Jess W.
    07/29/2019 14:44

If you don't shave your legs or hand It's okay. But that doesn’t mean you have to show people that Yoooo I didn’t cut my hairrrrrr!

• Joe Y.
    07/29/2019 14:26

America is so awesome we are taking the time to protest a woman shaving her legs? How bout this? Amazon women don’t grow hair on their bodies. They are placed there by the Gods and the environment is so perfect they never needed to grow hair on their bodies for warmth so they never needed to shave it. There you go. I made up a story about MADE UP PEOPLE that solves the issue.

• Jayp V.
    07/29/2019 14:01

But those eyebrows are on deck girl ! Let them be and the mustache too. You're leaving them out of the equation lol