Women recall buying their first bra

Some women remember it as a beautiful experience while others felt it was awkward and embarrassing... Brut. and Adore Me asked women to share personal stories about the first time they got a bra. This video has been produced in partnership with a brand

04/16/2020 7:04 PMupdated: 04/16/2020 7:06 PM
  • 1.1m

• Bethany M.
    04/27/2020 04:30

First time I ever got a bra was in seventh grade when all the other girls started to notice and pick on me for not wearing one 😓 they were barely an A cup

• Kelsie J.
    04/27/2020 03:53

How the hell do they rememebr that? Im sitting over trying to remember and i def cant lol

• Amy C.
    04/27/2020 01:54

7th grade the male doctor they had come in to do physicals to o clear students for fall sports gave me a lengthy lecture on how I needed to wear a bra and suggested I could get some at the Salvation Army store if my family was too poor to afford them...all while a dozen members of the highschool football team waited on the other side of the curtain for their exams. Mortified doesn't begin to describe it.

• Julia S.
    04/27/2020 01:20

That seems kinda inappropriate that the school sent a letter to her parents about her needing to wear a bra.

• Morgan-Ann T.
    04/27/2020 00:05

I was in 3th grade and got my boobs.....4th grade I got my period..... Yup mom gave me the talk about it few days before my first period....yup....great times....

• Brianna L.
    04/26/2020 11:56

I was 10 years old outside with my friends when my mother comes home from work and says “I can see your boobs. You need to wear a bra.” She didn’t even buy me any to wear at that point. I was so embarrassed. With my daughter I took her on a girls trip to target, we got Starbucks, and I suggested we buy a couple bras to wear with the new shirts she picked out. She was shy at first but she saw one with sloths on it and got exited.

• Cheyenne D.
    04/26/2020 06:38

my dad to buy me my first bra and all he wanted to get was the ones with no padding 😭 . Finally grama bought me a real one

• Elizabeth M.
    04/26/2020 06:12

I was on a semi family vacation (dad was military and he had a brief training thing to do) at a beach. It was like the third or fourth day back at the hotel when I get told to go into a room without my siblings. Mom comes in with these bags and hands me these white, barbie tagged strips of thin cotton fabric. I had to try them on in front of her, while I'm dying a slow death, and she tells me I have to wear them everyday now. They were training bras and I was mortified into oblivion. Ended up giving me a bit of a complex because I wore them night and day, and I refused to utter a peep for new ones when I had DEFINITELY outgrown them lol

• Emily S.
    04/26/2020 03:28

I dont even want to talk about my experience. I was 9 years old with C cups 🙄

• Roya M.
    04/26/2020 01:15

Everything was a embarrassment for me as a child. Bras, periods, pads and tampons. Lord i think about all this now and hope I can do a better job than my mom did.

• Miriah K.
    04/26/2020 00:34

I remember being one of the first in my third grade class to develop and I was at a sleepover and we were changing and this girl pointed at me and said "ew"

• Cecelia J.
    04/26/2020 00:16

I just remember being told to cover up everytime men were around and being forced to put shorts on under skirts

• Amanda B.
    04/25/2020 19:37

My 6yr wears " training" bras. Has been for 2 years because her older brothers are always going around shirtless in the summer. So she tired to also, so I bought her ones and explained that her boobies are private and she can't show them off.

• Michelle W.
    04/25/2020 15:16

I was in third grade and my teacher made me cover up with a jacket because it was cold in the room

• Izzy M.
    04/25/2020 09:58

Adore Me has been my little secret for a while. The have solid fitting, it's incredibly comfortable and don't even get me started on their bra sizes because they got it bro. Corsets, no wire etc. Bro they been got your back. Rihanna's line is great and all but I cant afford it. I get they have their VIP for around $25 but $64 is the regular prices. Adore me has a constant rate and only bump their prices slightly for new items. They always have sales so don't even worry about that. They have stores based on New York and girl lemme tell you it's divine. I stumbled upon them by chance and have been a repeat customer. Lol hire me to advertise 😂 For real though I HIGHLY recommend

• Serenity W.
    04/25/2020 04:36

I got training bras in 5th grade. In 6th grade I had a shirt that was a little see through in the back (I didn't know at the time) and a boy asked me why I was wearing a bra as he didn't see why I needed one when I'm so flat chested. I wore baggy black clothes after that..

• TiAnna M.
    04/25/2020 02:57

My daughter is 5 years old and she says boobs I am not okay with her saying boobs mosquito bites is appropriate word for what she has. And yes I've had to explain myself to my five-year-old that what Mommy has is boobs and what she has or mosquito bites but she keeps telling me no.

• Tiffanie R.
    04/25/2020 00:59

We just had a family fight the other day about my little cousin. Everyone was saying she needs a bra and I’m like “ummm why” I’m very anti bra and don’t wear one. The rest of my family even sleeps in theirs. 😳🤦🏼‍♀️😂 I was telling her she could wear a bra whenever she wanted to or never at all if she chose. 🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️ It didn’t go over well. 😂😂

• Mariah O.
    04/25/2020 00:52

Our “Mom” never talked to us about any girl stuff. I went to the library and checked out a book “What’s happening to my body” when I was in middle school. I taught myself about my period/ what to do during that time. I had to ask several times for a bra in 6th grade and she said I was trying to get boys attention by wearing a bra. So yea, growing up was interesting.

• Anna M.
    04/25/2020 00:38

I literally don’t remember not wearing a bra.