Hiroshima survivor speaks up against nuclear weapons

"This catastrophic situation was caused only by one bomb. And today, we have about 14,000 of them." Setsuko Thurlow survived the Hiroshima bombing. Now, she wants a world free of nuclear weapons.

Hiroshima survivor and Nobel Peace Prize winner shares her story

140,000 lives lost

On August 6, 1945, the first atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, Japan by the United States in an effort to get Japanese Supreme Military Leader Hideki Tojo to surrender in World War II. Named “Little Boy,” the atomic bomb destroyed the entire city and wiped out over 40% of the population of 340,000 civilians. Survivor Setsuko Thurlow was only thirteen years old when she had to survive one of the deadliest attacks Japan has ever faced. She was working in the army headquarters with a student program when the bomb hit.

“When I regained consciousness in the total darkness and the silence, I found myself pinned under the rubble. I couldn't move my body. I knew I was facing death. And I started hearing my schoolmates asking for help from their mothers and from God. Then suddenly, somebody from behind shook my left shoulder and said, ‘Don't give up, don't give up. Keep moving. Keep shaking. Keep kicking. I'm trying to free you. You see the sunray coming through that opening? Crawl toward it.’ And that's what I did,” Setsuko Thurlow describes to Brut.

*Thurlow’s efforts to prevent atomic warfare

Thurlow lost eight members of her family and considers herself lucky since both she and her parents survived, although her father would die from radiation 9 years after the attack. Shortly after his death, she emigrated to the United States to study sociology at Lynchburg College in Virginia. Today, she is a founding member of the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN). Created in 2007, this coalition was implemented to back the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons proposed in the United Nations. In 2017, ICAN was the winner of the Nobel Peace Prize for its involvement with the treaty. With about 14,000 atomic bombs in 9 countries, Thurlow works tirelessly to make sure none of them are ever used again.

Brut.

03/05/2020 3:01 PM

• Jaswant S.
    08/12/2020 11:57

Water boil at 100degree cl. But temp was 4000degrree cj.ls. A little boy and then the fat man also.but still the human race has not taken lesson. Even small country without carying for hunger and malnutrtion spent much more on Atomic fusion and energy.

• Bette R.
    08/09/2020 01:18

Let's get rid of all of the nukes!

• Keith S.
    08/08/2020 03:26

This is one thing I can agree with.

• Maggie L.
    08/08/2020 02:22

Any war or destruction on earth 🌍 takes everything. This earth 🌍 can only take so much. When everything is gone( then what???

• Jess H.
    08/08/2020 02:05

Although I feel bad for those living in Hiroshima when we dropped the bomb, it was absolutely the right decision. We did not ask for war with Japan and an invasion would have cost the US 100,000 American lives. THE DECISION SAVE AMERICAN LIVES If we didn't do it YOU might not be here if you are an American.

• David W.
    08/07/2020 20:31

Agenda news!!

• Fio P.
    08/07/2020 19:13

"Including the U.S." ✌👀😈

• Christopher M.
    08/07/2020 18:55

My dad was 19 getting flying bombers preparing on guam and other island bases. He would have given his life to end the way. God bless Harry Truman. His wide was 10 years old on Okinawa. She lived thru the brutalty. Dont say one bad word to her about America. She will fk u up.

• Leo M.
    08/07/2020 18:11

I was a WW 2 baby and also survived and now at 79 ... We only live once , why are you scared , we will be better off and fairly even to all... If that day comes , there will be no more problems to everyone and there will be true peace ...

• Kenneth S.
    08/07/2020 18:09

We all gonna die! Many Japanese see honor in killing them selves. I like nukes let’s just start hot box nuking yummy yum

• Sandi H.
    08/07/2020 17:12

How old was she ?

• Will S.
    08/07/2020 16:35

Your pride/honor indulged leaders at the time had the choice to surrender. They did not, that was the outcome. Like it or not, it was a tactical choice that saved the lives of many Americans who would have undoubtedly been shot at by the propaganda induced Japanese public at the time. Oh, and hey Pearl Harbor was pretty bad too! On the flip side, I agree nukes shouldn't be a thing.

• Donald H.
    08/07/2020 16:32

I wonder if she'd also like to ban surprise attacks on other nations

• David N.
    08/07/2020 15:18

So this woman was close enough to the bomb that it collapsed the building she was in and no radiation? Sounds fishy to me but I also believe the world is round and we went to the moon.

• Stephen S.
    08/07/2020 12:10

Dropping the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki saved lives. However, a Japanese person said it best-“if we(Japan) had the bomb, we would have used it”.

• Çelebi T.
    08/07/2020 07:39

Two main purposes of the bomb were: a) Threatening USSR to not reach the island, as they went too far on Far East territories. b) Prevent more death caused by imperial Japanese army, brainwashed civilian hordes were forcibly driven on battlefield against Ally Powers.

• Carl I.
    08/06/2020 12:16

Go to china, particularly in nanjing and say that

• Yuko M.
    08/06/2020 07:40

仏様があなたを照らし、永遠の平和へと導きますように。

• Alan C.
    08/06/2020 06:31

I find the presentation very moving, powerful and frightening, and the lady very convincing. Everybody on earth should be made to spare 3 minutes to watch this and then reach their own conclusion. I would like to give this movement my support.

• Ryan F.
    08/06/2020 06:13

Atomic warfare is the worst thing that humanity faces, as a human race! Nuclear free world is the only option!