Hiroshima survivor speaks up against nuclear weapons

"This catastrophic situation was caused only by one bomb. And today, we have about 14,000 of them." Setsuko Thurlow survived the Hiroshima bombing. Now, she wants a world free of nuclear weapons.

Hiroshima survivor and Nobel Peace Prize winner shares her story

140,000 lives lost

On August 6, 1945, the first atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, Japan by the United States in an effort to get Japanese Supreme Military Leader Hideki Tojo to surrender in World War II. Named “Little Boy,” the atomic bomb destroyed the entire city and wiped out over 40% of the population of 340,000 civilians. Survivor Setsuko Thurlow was only thirteen years old when she had to survive one of the deadliest attacks Japan has ever faced. She was working in the army headquarters with a student program when the bomb hit.

“When I regained consciousness in the total darkness and the silence, I found myself pinned under the rubble. I couldn't move my body. I knew I was facing death. And I started hearing my schoolmates asking for help from their mothers and from God. Then suddenly, somebody from behind shook my left shoulder and said, ‘Don't give up, don't give up. Keep moving. Keep shaking. Keep kicking. I'm trying to free you. You see the sunray coming through that opening? Crawl toward it.’ And that's what I did,” Setsuko Thurlow describes to Brut.

*Thurlow’s efforts to prevent atomic warfare

Thurlow lost eight members of her family and considers herself lucky since both she and her parents survived, although her father would die from radiation 9 years after the attack. Shortly after his death, she emigrated to the United States to study sociology at Lynchburg College in Virginia. Today, she is a founding member of the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN). Created in 2007, this coalition was implemented to back the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons proposed in the United Nations. In 2017, ICAN was the winner of the Nobel Peace Prize for its involvement with the treaty. With about 14,000 atomic bombs in 9 countries, Thurlow works tirelessly to make sure none of them are ever used again.

Brut.

03/05/2020 3:01 PM

• Santosh S.
    08/14/2020 15:04

Terrible Attack,

• Shabana A.
    08/09/2020 19:00

Who gains in a war nobody what's achieved is total destruction that had taken years to build. Loss of life, grief and pain. Nobody will win a war today as many nations have nuclear bombs, eventually we'll be destroying our world. We can live peacefully .

• Tony D.
    08/09/2020 07:11

The most harrowing crime against humanity in history was made by America, so it should be fine. Another country would have been punished for that. God save America of their genocides..

• Bette R.
    08/09/2020 01:18

Let's get rid of all of the nukes!

• Aditya J.
    08/08/2020 18:06

BINOD

• R S.
    08/08/2020 09:09

Excess of knowledge, excess need of power leads to destruction of humans very innocent people hve lost there life

• R S.
    08/08/2020 09:08

Corona came free of cost , due to law on this madam

• Keith S.
    08/08/2020 03:26

This is one thing I can agree with.

• David W.
    08/07/2020 20:31

Agenda news!!

• Leo M.
    08/07/2020 18:11

I was a WW 2 baby and also survived and now at 79 ... We only live once , why are you scared , we will be better off and fairly even to all... If that day comes , there will be no more problems to everyone and there will be true peace ...

• Kenneth S.
    08/07/2020 18:09

We all gonna die! Many Japanese see honor in killing them selves. I like nukes let’s just start hot box nuking yummy yum

• Will S.
    08/07/2020 16:35

Your pride/honor indulged leaders at the time had the choice to surrender. They did not, that was the outcome. Like it or not, it was a tactical choice that saved the lives of many Americans who would have undoubtedly been shot at by the propaganda induced Japanese public at the time. Oh, and hey Pearl Harbor was pretty bad too! On the flip side, I agree nukes shouldn't be a thing.

• Donald H.
    08/07/2020 16:32

I wonder if she'd also like to ban surprise attacks on other nations

• David N.
    08/07/2020 15:18

So this woman was close enough to the bomb that it collapsed the building she was in and no radiation? Sounds fishy to me but I also believe the world is round and we went to the moon.

• Çelebi T.
    08/07/2020 07:39

Two main purposes of the bomb were: a) Threatening USSR to not reach the island, as they went too far on Far East territories. b) Prevent more death caused by imperial Japanese army, brainwashed civilian hordes were forcibly driven on battlefield against Ally Powers.

• Quinton D.
    08/07/2020 06:33

Imagine there are no countries on earth. No borders. People can travel freely for trade all around the world. Equal right for both the genders. The word "war"and it's history will not be read by the upcoming generations. Just imagining, How happy the world would be?. I know this ideas will never be perceived even if it's possible. All I meant to say is that if we look to set borders. There will be clashes which will eventually lead to war and then to............ Hope you got what I mean.

• John J.
    08/07/2020 01:42

Lets say not to nuclear and atomic energy in this world.

• Mahatab K.
    08/06/2020 20:15

So true why countries should fight for power why can't we lead life in peace & happiness.

• Faizan A.
    08/06/2020 16:46

America once again shame on U

• Environment C.
    08/06/2020 15:39

Build peace not war. May peace prevail!