Animals Have Feelings, According to a Primatologist

Humans aren't that special. Primatologist Frans de Waal says animals are capable of feeling empathy, too. 🐵❤️

Some of the theories still face strong resistance.

For over 40 years, primatologist Frans de Waal has been debunking myths about differences between animals and humans. Animals emotions have long been ignored. But he says our emotions are more similar than we think — beginning with empathy. Studies show that primates have a similar sense of fairness. He believes the roots of morality are seen in the social behavior of monkeys and apes.

“What we should learn is that we are primates, we are not different really, we have bigger brains, we have no different brains. There's nothing in our brain that is not in a chimpanzee brain. Our need for social relationships, our need for affection and love, our ways of we resolve conflict between each other, all these things are extremely similar. The chimpanzee communicates all these shades of emotion that we have but we don't always see that. I noticed that for example chimpanzees have one chimpanzee has lost a fight, others will go over and embrace them and kiss them and try to calm them down. People didn't want to hear about empathy in animals. If animals kill each other we want to hear about that, because that's what animals are supposed to do, but empathy was not part of the concept that people had about animals.”

His research into the innate capacity for empathy among primates has led De Waal to the conclusion that non-human great apes and humans are simply different types of apes, and that empathic and cooperative tendencies are continuous between these species. The idea behind the animal origins of human characteristics was introduced by Charles Darwin in 1872. Some of the theories still face strong resistance. Often criticized for “anthropomorphism” — the attribution of human characteristics to animals — de Waal has shed light on the negative effects of denying this — or “anthropodenial.”

Brut.

08/10/2019 6:02 PM
  • 35.7k

• Noureddine B.
    08/01/2019 10:22

Humans aren’t that special 😌😌

• Dirlene S.
    08/01/2019 12:11

Come on! Everyone knows chimpanzees are way better than humans. All animals are better than us in every aspect. We don’t belong, we’re destroying this planet.

• Brut
    08/01/2019 14:05

Learn more about Frans de Waal's new book "Mama's Last Hug": https://www.npr.org/2019/03/01/698902400/mamas-last-hug-makes-case-that-humans-are-not-alone-in-experiencing-emotions

• Edda J.
    08/01/2019 14:51

So true we all evolved from the same

• Omon S.
    08/02/2019 00:09

Please help me thank Dr ALLI for his good work I really believe HPV have cure I was HPV positive over since 2 year plus before I come across a comment Dr ALLI that he have cure to any disease and virus but when I saw it i have it in mind that he can't cure HPV I just decided to give a try I contact him that night luckily to me he said yes but I don’t believe him I think it was a scam or some thing like that but I still hold on to see the work of Dr ALLI if he is saying the true he ask for different thing and some question about me I give him all the detail he needed and I wait to see his reply to my problem after all the thing is done he ask me to go for check up I went for HPV test I can't believe I was negative thanks Dr ALLI for help me for not dying at this young age if you need help contact him now call or WhatsApp him +2348155730699 or email [email protected] com and he told me he can cure HIV, herpes, diabetes. thank yo]

• Bashir H.
    08/04/2019 11:33

God turned some of us into monkeys 🙊. Warning!

• Alexander L.