Former Gay Conversion Leader Wants to Make Amends

"I really feel like I snapped out of being in a cult." He was a leader in the world of gay conversion therapy – then he came out as gay. Now, he wants to make it right.

After being fired from the ministry, Game went into an existential crisis

McKrae Game was once a leader in the world of gay conversion therapy. But in 2019, he came out as gay and denounced the ministry he helped build. Growing up in South Carolina, Game knew he was different. But like so many LGBTQ+ youth He didn’t know why. In 1999, Game founded Truth Ministry, a counseling service that attempted to use faith to quell homosexuality. Despite leading the group for 20 years, Game now says he never really believed what he was teaching.

“I'm really sorry for all the years that I played a part in helping people repress who they are, especially in the earlier years of ministry that I was a zealot and was cold and judgmental. And I am going to do my best to meet with people one-on-one that I used to work with and people I didn't work with but they knew who I was and they want to talk, or anybody who wants to talk, you know. It was not okay to be gay 30 years ago. I mean, we didn't have the internet. We didn't have cell phones. Ellen hadn't crossed that counter and come out on TV yet. I mean, there was nothing, especially not in this area. And, you know, my whole life was just “gay” jokes. No one dared to admit they were gay back then. I mean, the fact that I had lived 19 years and had never met a homosexual is pretty amazing. I would say I was a former homosexual with ongoing same-sex attractions. And there's a bunch of religious garbage that held me bondage,” Game tells Brut.

After being fired from the ministry, Game went into an existential crisis. Now, Game wants to make amends and become a positive voice for the LGBTQ community. Gay conversion therapy remains legal in 33 states.

Brut.

10/06/2019 2:01 PM

• Diane R.
    10/06/2019 14:17

Good man!

• Amel d.
    10/06/2019 14:52

It’s sad that he had to realize he was gay in order to see how wrong it was, but sometimes it’s needed. Glad he snapped out of it

• Erika R.
    10/06/2019 17:32

He put on a dress as a child because he was jealous of his sister and wanted their attention. Now people label these kids as being trans when they are not.

• Tina J.
    10/07/2019 04:10

Another abuser who took his own denial out on hundred or thousands of others. He sorry now that he came out as gay. Please...smfh.

• Brut
    10/07/2019 13:41

Colorado is the 17th and latest U.S. state to ban gay conversion therapy. But the debunked practice is still used in many states across the country.

• John H.
    7 days

30 years ago you were ashamed of what you were doing now that you have a bunch of people doing the same thing you guys come out of the closet and I was throwing it up in people's face it's not a normal act for a guy Daft sex with another guy nowhere else in nature do you see this and as part of you wearing your sister's clothes Freud says it's a deep love for your father so you have more mental problems and just being gay check your self fudge packer

• Ryan K.
    6 days

Make it right, repent! Turn from your CHOICE of being gay! The Word states very clearly that homosexuality is a SIN. You will not see the gates of Heaven.

• Wayne S.
    4 days

Yeah, the sexual orientation of 95% of the population is a cult. That's the ticket.

• Diana P.