Interview: Bestselling author Stephanie Land on being a maid and the American dream

Her house cleaning job kept her out of a homeless shelter. Then, she became a bestselling author... Stephanie Land tells Brut about the reality of American poverty — from her own experience.

10/29/2020 6:58 PM

• Tonya M.
    10/03/2021 13:48

Your story has inspired me to just DO IT. My story can hopefully help others. Thank you so much Stephanie!!!

• Gay C.
    10/03/2021 13:05

“Maid” I love the Netflix series but her mother and father were barely in the book whereas particularly the mother has a huge role as a schizophrenic-like character, plus she says here the boyfriend kicked her out and she had a little money whereas in the series she leaves with nothing couple of times after abuse and him not wanting her to leave. Also, she says that all poor people work hard, now, come on, would you not say this is a bit of a generalization? I’ve had no money and worked with poor people and many barely put any effort into their jobs. There are wealthy people who are lazy and don’t work hard, same goes for poor people. My dead ex-husband grew up in abject poverty in Maine on welfare and said most of the poor people he knew were jilting the system and refused to work. How much of this film is actually factual? And how much of it is to get people to watch and to create conflict and drama and pull on our heartstrings? Great acting and writing, though. 🤷🏿‍♀️ 🎭

• Gay C.
    10/03/2021 13:05

I question how much of the series was fictionalized to create heightened tension so people would watch?

• Linda L.
    10/02/2021 00:21

And yet…she worked hard and is in a stable place. Um….

• Kim W.
    10/31/2020 12:54

we should read this!!

• Snezana K.
    10/30/2020 14:02

• Farida M.
    10/30/2020 09:00

Your story reminds me of my own times. A d am still struggling to keep myself out of debt. But you inspire and of all things I love myself is the greatest mantra that counted heavily.

• Aileen S.
    10/30/2020 06:36

Your story is so amazing and inspirational.

• Jared B.
    10/29/2020 23:49

Pick a better baby daddy.

• Jeff P.
    10/29/2020 23:08

We are all economic slaves to a pay to play system. America is sham economy.

• Nya C.
    10/29/2020 22:41

Work hard and you will forever be working hard to make someone else rich

• Lauren S.
    10/29/2020 22:21

Thank you for sharing your story some people always think negative about others they tell you whatever they want to l know that feeling stay true to yourself

• Saria K.
    10/29/2020 21:08

Hi friend, how are you doing, I will love to be your friend if you don't mind, and I don't want to be rude by sending you a friend request without your permission can I get request from you if you Don't mind? I'm looking forward to hear from you thank you

• Mahoro G.
    10/29/2020 20:03

Am very poor girl, looking for a astable either cleaning, janitor, house keeping or any as long as am earning money please some help and consider mi please thanks Am from Uganda

• Charity A.
    10/29/2020 19:14

Fortunate is he who has everything in the world but remains as humble as ever, bearing in mind that he has to leave it all behind.