Male Body Shaming is on the Rise

No one is immune to body shaming — not even "Aquaman" star Jason Momoa. But the uptick in body shaming of men says plenty about modern masculinity.

Celebs received criticisms (and some praise) for their less-than-chiseled bodies

Both men and women face body shaming — with 93% of women 83% of men reporting facing criticism for being too fat (or sometimes too thin). “Body shaming,” the act of humiliating someone for their size, can happen to anyone. However, equating the trials and tribulations of a model told to “eat a hamburger,” with the treatment of someone perceived as overweight is a dangerous conflation. To be called “thin,” in much of the Western world, is generally a compliment. To be “fat,” by contrast, means facing a stigma on a daily basis, particularly about one’s health. Though studies have shown that those with an elevated Body Mass Index (BMI) have a higher mortality rate, the health concerns of overweight and obese people are highly complex.

The BMI is a calculation to determine if someone is underweight, normal weight, overweight, obese, or morbidly obese. Even though there are huge problems and limitations of using BMI to measure for “ideal” weight, doctors, scientists, and researchers continue to use it. Because of the BMI’s ubiquity in the scientific and medical literature, its classifications are common definitions of “fat”. Studies show being visibly “chubby” is more likely to hurt your career, wealth, mental health, and love life. To conflate “skinny shaming” and “fat shaming” is to obscure the real shame in that. Yet this body image researcher Glen Jankowski, Senior lecturer, Leeds Beckett University, says he sees a new movement towards body acceptance.

Male celebrities such as Jason Momoa, Nick Jonas, and Seth Rogen have recently received criticisms (and some praise) for their less-than-chiseled bodies. Selena Gomez discussed body shaming on Ellen and Tyra Banks responded to body shamers on The Tyra Banks Show. Emily Ratajkowski has defended her friend against body-shaming trolls after their bodies were compared on Instagram. After researching male body dissatisfaction for 8 years, Jankowski says he hopes to highlight the harmful impacts of body shaming.

Brut.

07/27/2019 11:57 AM
  • 760.8k

• Alice M.
    07/27/2019 12:10

Hey, viewers am from Durban am here to testify about Mama shamina for the good work she did for hen my husband left me with 4 kids and got married to someone else. I read a testimony about a woman called grace talking about how Mama shamina helped her to bring back her husband. I called her to hear more and explained to me how Mama shamina helped her. I called Mama shamina that same time and told her my marriage problems. She asked for His surname and told me to go to her office. I went there and she made me a spiritual prayer and within a few hours, my husband called me while apologizing. We also consulted with Mama shamina about our financial problems. She told me about Magic Wallet that brings money in your house. I took it and started using it as she had explained to me and I was shocked to find a lot of money where I had placed the wallet. I called her happiness to ask what I should do with the money. She told me to use the money for whatever I want.the Since then am in a happy life that everyone admires. Thank you very much, Mama , for everything you have done for me. Mama shamina Can also help you with Powerful Magic Ring For Lost Love Spell, Pastors, Prophecy Healing Powers, Miracles, Instant Money, Win Contracts or Tenders, Win Lotto, Protection, Become Famous or Rich, Fix Marriage, Magic wallet for money that works, Stop Court Cases,If you need any help from Mama shamina Call / What's App her on +27673785858 . She is located in Sandton

• Mickey E.
    07/27/2019 13:59

Fitness expert and professional athlete trainer, Dom Mazetti, actually has a very good take on men bodyshaming and especially the dad bod. He explains it in a youtube video and i habe posted the link below👇👇👇👇 you are welcome https://youtu.be/iQlIPOTbuH8

• Claudia T.
    07/27/2019 15:53

LOL wussie men, women have been putting up with this forever. Get over yourselves!!!

• Jose C.
    07/27/2019 16:18

Men don't really care about that, did you know? Only the new wave of men who want to join the "im a victim too" bullshit brought by the left.

• Korey C.
    07/27/2019 16:59

Oh god ... shut the f###%%%ck uuuuuupppp

• Nicky A.
    07/27/2019 21:40

Fuck body shaming shit.. if you're fat, you're fat..

• Rusul A.
    07/27/2019 22:11

Imagine dealing with that your whole life. Imagine living with that pressure ever since you were born. Imagine having your value measured based on the way you look and being reminded every single day that once you "let yourself go" it's over for you. Most women don't really care about the way a guy looks, but rather the way he treats her. You guys don't even have the right to complain, please. I'd take what you have to deal with, I'd take all the "body shaming" you face any time any day than all the nonsense we have to deal with on daily basis. My God.

• Valerie B.
    07/27/2019 22:56

POOR men boo hoo. Stfu

• Bryans S.
    07/28/2019 00:54

The only shame that Momoa have, is to live among mortals :v

• Alex A.
    07/28/2019 02:09

Gay culture is now mainstream

• Amrit T.
    07/28/2019 06:51

Fit fat and fat fit,all fall under the thirst for limelight. First cure that mentality which runs from generation.

• El S.
    07/28/2019 13:17

Is it still ok just to be a ordinary dude. I mean do we have to apologise just for existing.

• Jose A.
    07/28/2019 13:27

Shout out to Daddy Yankee

• Nataly S.
    07/28/2019 13:54

Oh pls! Its about f#ing time you feel like women feel!

• Theodore W.
    07/28/2019 16:47

Shut up

• Xikiú S.
    07/28/2019 18:10

Pfff, Momoa puede ser y estar como se le de la gana, ser un unicornio si quiere, y le quedaría genial

• Juzt H.
    07/29/2019 02:23

kontol

• Anirban D.
    07/29/2019 03:44

bujhli?

• Ashutosh A.
    07/29/2019 16:09

Being a man nowadays is like being constantly being alert Because nowadays people see all men as criminals on bail for the crime they have committed which is that they are strong and are of male gender and anytime they can be locked up.

• Lisbeth F.
    07/29/2019 19:30

Los hombres de ahora tambien sufren por el peso. Deben saber que todo comenzo con eso del Metrosexual. Se ven bellos. Pero no es necesario tanto exegeracion eso es como las modas. Yo los prefiero belludos que vistan acorde a su edad y de preferencia con miy buenos sentimientos y calidad humana.