The truth behind Cinco de Mayo

"If you want to get drunk and drink tequila, go do it. You don't need to put on a sombrero and a fake mustache and pretend to be Mexican to do that." Here's the truth behind Cinco de Mayo.

05/05/2021 10:06 PMupdated: 05/05/2021 10:08 PM

• Caitlin G.
    05/08/2021 19:42

It is also the Japanese day of the child.

• Ramon N.
    05/07/2021 22:06

As a Mexican living in Mexico, I couldn’t care less about what other countries do in reference on our “traditions”, want to put a sombrero? Use it, want to use a fake moustache? Use it, we don’t really care, I find it actually funny and most important of all, we as Mexicans we don’t need a reason to drink, we drink because we’re happy, because were sad, because were mad, just because, so viva Mexico! Ay aay ay ayyyyyyyyy 🌵 🌮 🍺

• Metin T.
    05/07/2021 16:13

Putting on a mustache perpetuates harm? Who tf asked this idiot

• Alvarez L.
    05/07/2021 09:55

mexico does not celebrate 5 de mayo lol,only in the schools they have a little march just remembering those who fought and died in that battle

• Denise G.
    05/07/2021 09:52

And St Patty's Day...... Quit it, me and my baby pinatas with a fake mustache gonna be celebrating🌮🌮🌮

• Melanie S.
    05/07/2021 05:57

I'm mexican and the only thing I dont like about Cinco de Mayo is when white people come up to me and say "happy mexican independence day" 😒

• Abisary J.
    05/06/2021 22:31

I am puertorican, i would love to see one day about us, with coquito, piña colada and mofongo everywhere!, this means economy for mexicans restaurants too, and besides you can educate people about your history. I visit a mexican food truck very often and they talk a lot about the real stories of mexicans and I learn a lot from them. Take this opportunity to enhance how much mexicans means for USA, get offended only make you look weak...

• Ruth M.
    05/06/2021 21:55

We do the same thing with "St. Patrick's Day" I don't think the Irish like it much either

• Philips S.
    05/06/2021 14:47

We won't stoop to your level of stupidity,come and enjoy St paddy's day we welcome and embrace it.

• Philips S.
    05/06/2021 14:40

If anything it's EMBRACING the culture, it's all in the context in case you haven't forgotten.

• Philips S.
    05/06/2021 14:38

Oh my gawwdddd, really.....

• Hugo F.
    05/06/2021 14:26

Is it racist? Yes. Do mexicans care? Most dont. Were hustlers, and if bright decorations and drinks will make you spend money then celebrate how you want. We put mustaches on everything.

• Lupe A.
    05/06/2021 13:37

That’s true just a other excuse to drink lil

• Halëy P.
    05/06/2021 13:20

Plenty of Mexican restaurants exploit it as well so.. I’m not wearing a hat and mustache but I did drink tequila lol

• Shakur A.
    05/06/2021 11:01

So why does this gov want to build a wall 🤔 but then celebrate a people... This place is very strange...

• Max H.
    05/06/2021 08:09

Y'all love to cry about fake problems 😂

• Erika V.
    05/06/2021 06:18

I'm Mexican. I love the way people in US celebrates this day. Please, do not believe this is offensive for us. Mexican people doesn't feel offended by this kind of things, don't see this like cultural appropriation whatsoever.

• Beth E.
    05/06/2021 06:04

One of the many problems with america, is being such a relatively new country, it doesn't have much history to claim as its own, so has hijacked events like St patricks day, cinco de mayo, when it suits boosting the hospitality/service industry coffers.

• Shawn N.
    05/06/2021 05:06

God grace of healing in the clean heart to have faith Give thanks to the grace of the lights

• Shawn N.