The Story of Carl Lewis

He’s one of the most dominant track & field athletes the world has ever seen. But the career of the "sportsman of the century" hasn’t been without controversy. This is the story of Carl Lewis.

Looking back at a storied career

With 9 gold medals at the Olympic Games and 8 gold medals at the World Championships, he’s one of the most decorated sprinters and jumpers. Carl Lewis was born in 1961 in Alabama into a family of athletes. He started long jumping at the age of 13 at the athletics club founded by his mother.

In 1981, before he even turned 20, he jumped to 8.62 meters. He also ran the 100 meters in 10 seconds. For the first time, he topped the world rankings in the long jump and in the 100 meters. In 1984, he took part in his first Olympic Games, in Los Angeles. He won the 4 gold medals in: 100 meters, 200 meters, 4x100 meter relay, and the long jump. No athlete had achieved such a feat since Jesse Owens in 1936. Between 1984 and 1988, he launched a music career, releasing 2 albums and 6 singles, including “Break It Up.” Except in Sweden, where the song ranked number 3 in sales, though a hit in Sweden, the song wasn’t very successful. In 1988, at the Seoul Olympics, Lewis came in second, at 9.92 seconds, to Ben Johnson who won the 100-meter final in 9.79 seconds, A few days later, Johnson tested positive for steroids.

Lewis took home the gold medal — and now had the world record. 15 years later, in 2003, documents revealed that Lewis had also tested positive for drugs in 1988. In 1989, he decided to become a vegan. In 1991, when Lewis was 30 years old, he competed in the World Championships in Tokyo. At the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona, he won 2 more gold medals, in the long jump and in the 4x100 meter relay. 4 years later, he won another gold in the long jump at the Atlanta Olympics. It was his 9th Olympic gold medal in track and field, a feat last achieved in 1928 and a record that remains unbroken.

Brut.

10/28/2019 11:58 AM

• Matthew D.
    08/06/2021 02:50

You. Was great preson to with in high school

• Nick G.
    08/01/2021 09:51

Tested positive in LA. Had braces at 28 years old 🤦🏻‍♂️. Sorry Carl you don’t have my respect.

• Brut
    07/27/2021 18:02

Subscribe to our newsletter myBrut to stay informed on stories like these, every day, delivered directly to your inbox: https://bit.ly/3f4g6WJ

• Glen P.
    07/27/2021 06:37

He's gay...isn't he? Seems that way to me. He walks like a girl.

• Judy R.
    07/26/2021 23:33

Covered up drug cheat

• Balikis O.
    07/26/2021 14:21

It has been a life changing opportunity for me earning a lot in just a short period of time through the great help of madam, , when i was a newbie I really lost a lot cause I was new and didn't meet the right people to trade with. But Mrs Charlotte Viktoriya is really more than a God sent me she thought me all I needed to know before investing she is more than a life changer, get in touch with her for all you need to know before investing 👇👇👇 Charlotte Viktoriya

• Bablu U.
    07/26/2021 14:01

I'm sharing this because this was exactly how I saw so many posts about Mrs how she was helping individual earned money so I try and luckily it went well, i started my trading with the little I had and in just few days of trading i got my profit All thanks to her for changing my life Click on the link below to get started Charlotte Viktoriya

• Troy E.
    07/26/2021 08:51

One of the many athletes the US covered up for failed drug tests. Such a hypocrite, especially towards Johnson.

• Droj R.
    07/26/2021 02:40

He made the best rendition of the American National Anthem in an NBA game.

• Boyd H.
    07/25/2021 21:06

I’m watching the olympics weightlifting and they said clean and jerk. I thought they were announcing Biden and trump

• Anna N.
    07/25/2021 20:41

Un dopé, comme les autres donc soit il était réellement meilleur, soit son "docteur" était le meilleur..