Former Journalist Recalls Life In Byculla Prison

Jigna Vora was accused of murder in 2011 and sent to Byculla Jail as an undertrial. Seven years later, she was acquitted and penned her experience in a book titled ‘Behind Bars in Byculla’.

01/05/2020 4:58 AM
  • 82.8k

• Hirotoshi T.
    01/09/2020 20:48

I’m Japanese. I was accused of a small fighting case(I punched a big liar in the face so hard.) and under custody in Karnataka central prison Bangalore from 22th in Nov to 11th in Dec last year. 19days only. The jail was too loose. Prisoner smoked, gambled, some enjoyed marijuana and use their smartphones secretly. I didn’t have no idea how they could bring them. At the entrance gate, security was very tight. To my surprise, most of the prisoner(including murderer), jail police and staff were so kind. I think partly because I was Japanese they took a great care of me. With the support of everyone there, I could get bail(Chief superintendent lent me 4,000Rs as fine because my wallet was at police station). I was there for 19 days only but my Tibetan(from Tibetan Autonomous Region) has been imprisoned for one and eight years without valid reason(his case is small fighting at a bar) I tried to help him to get bail but he also could get bail somehow and is supposed to be released on 14th next week. In prison, he helped me so much and in turn when he comes back to Bangalore, I must help him although my case is still pending. Anyway, in brief, the judgement and jail system of India is disgusting. In a word, fuck. Not working properly at all. Anyone explain why my Tibetan friend had to be in jail this long and why I can get calls often from my friends in prison.

• Arti K.
    01/08/2020 11:14

A lady recently in fraudcase duped 86 was in byculla jail still sitting in jail duped some ladies from jail and is now on bail but still doing the crime case is going in session court law is corrupt

• Sukhjit M.
    01/07/2020 06:32

If she is acquitted of charges so can she sue government or judiciary for compensation of life wasted or time she spent. What evidence were used to keep her in? Dua tha to aag bhi hoggi ?

• Tapas C.
    01/06/2020 16:12

"Justice delayed, is justice denied." --RT.Hon. William Ewart Gladstone, English statesman, Prime Minister of England for three times.

• Brut India
    01/06/2020 10:00

Vora's story to be turned into a movie: https://punemirror.indiatimes.com/entertainment/bollywood/jigna-voras-jail-ordeal-to-be-depicted-on-film/articleshow/71607103.cms

• Tapas C.
    01/06/2020 06:09

Very bad instance for a declared democratic country~!

• Jaikala G.
    01/06/2020 04:06

Horrible story

• Naras L.
    01/05/2020 16:51

One major reason for labels to stick is that the same media which covers arrests & convictions with gusto does not revisit the story when the person is acquitted. Media has an important role in such cases.A case in point.. Sadhvi Pragya mentioned in this story has been acquitted but she's still labeled as a terrorist.

• Yasir K.
    01/05/2020 16:05

She may deserve 100 cr compansation

• Mohan S.
    01/05/2020 09:27

Very well done...

• Mohit G.
    01/05/2020 08:26

There are many these type of cases where initially people go jail and after many years he or she does not found guilty .They face several problems there and afterwards also.So how these problem could handle. Can you all give any reason to stop these issues plz reply if you think any so.

• Arogya R.
    01/05/2020 07:55

Yes this true.

• Deepa M.
    01/05/2020 06:53

Horrifying 🤦😓

• Rohan G.
    01/05/2020 06:33

So many men are undertrials in the Indian jails. Spend years and decades of their lives. And you never make a mention about them. Ok this lady wrote a book..but go and check how many fake cases and how much time men have suffered, and later on became acquitted. Do that as well

• Kartik S.
    01/05/2020 06:24

Great. Prison system is worse than ever. I support that society becomes judgemental once u get out of jail, society must accept every person. And it's not about second chance it all about maturity of the society. Every person in the jail is not culprit sometimes judges give wrong judgement or sometime the an innocent person gets trapped from white collar criminals.

• Pinaki B.
    01/05/2020 06:13

This is , I'm that I'm

• Khalida P.
    01/05/2020 05:59

Good,but u have come back know thank God

• Papia D.
    01/05/2020 05:15

All right very thanks good morning

• Sukhjit M.