The U.S. water crisis hot spots

These areas with poor access to clean water reveal who’s taking the hit from the growing water crisis.

Struggling with access to safe drinking water for years

The Navajo Nation is 1 of 6 American hotspots with severe water access problems according to a 2-year study from DigDeep and U.S. Water Alliance. Shanna Yazzie is one of over 2 million Americans living without access to running water or indoor plumbing. Native American families are 19x more likely than white households to lack indoor plumbing. The study found low income and minority communities are most impacted.

This is Yazzie’s morning routine to shower:

“As you can see, I use a five-gallon bucket of warm water. I don’t fill it all the way up, it only goes up to two and a half gallons and that’s all I use daily. I learn to use less and less all the time, quicker showers,” Shanna Yazzie tells Brut.

Appalachia

In McDowell County, West Virginia, 1/3 of residents live in poverty according to the U.S. Census Bureau. Many homes lack water access and aren’t connected to sewer systems. Residents collect water from mine shafts from mountain sides and streams — which are polluted by industrial runoff.

Rural South

In Lowndes County, Alabama — which is 73% black — only 20% of homes are connected to sewer systems. Failing septic systems and wastewater lagoons expose people to raw sewage. 34.5% of residents who took part in a study tested positive for hookworm based on data from Baylor College of Medicine.

Texas Colonias

In the majority Latino Texas colonies, near the Mexico border, families must haul water by car or foot. They can also buy water that’s trucked in, but it's unsafe to drink. The homes were built on plots of land outside city limits without basic water infrastructure. Puerto Rico’s water systems are old and underfunded, leaving residents in rural and urban areas without water and sanitation access. High bacteria rates in surface water indicate widespread wastewater issues.

California’s Central Valley

California's Tulare County Is home to mostly lower-income Latino farmworker families. They live with unsafe drinking water because of groundwater contamination from arsenic and other chemicals.

Brut.

01/09/2020 12:57 PM
  • 630.4k

• Michelle D.
    07/12/2020 22:02

If the water is contaminated then it’s not for drinking, obviously. It’s not a choice, it’s the big industries fault for their irresponsible waste dumping.

• Dianna A.
    05/22/2020 21:54

Why isn't America taking care of its native people people in the inner City get all the attention immigrants have people fighting for their rights but what about the people that were here first they seem to be worse off than the rest of us

• Gina C.
    05/21/2020 18:26

Dude, 2020. Fix it

• Andronna J.
    05/21/2020 17:19

sad. Wish I could do something

• Randy E.
    05/20/2020 21:48

Move somewhere eles

• Alexander T.
    05/20/2020 16:54

Hopefully the people who laughed at this drop dead

• Jack H.
    05/20/2020 16:02

They live in the middle of the desert?????

• Robert J.
    05/20/2020 14:27

You know if y'all help the people that y'all use in these videos it would be different but we still haven't got any help so thanks for nothing

• Scott A.
    05/20/2020 06:42

Well now that explains why so many Native Americans leave the reservation for a better life most of the Indian reservations also have a big problems with drugs and rape on the reservation they tried to blame it on the white man but the only time a white man usually goes on the reservation it's if they want to save money on Taxs

• Maria T.
    05/20/2020 02:30

😢😭💔

• Zenebu F.
    04/22/2020 20:22

When I meet DR lhionkhan, I was desperate to get my ex boyfriend back. He left me for another woman. It happened so fast and I had nothing to say about a situation. He just left after 3years without explanation. First, through your gmail and your first gmail, through your email and my first request, it has been launched Love spell to help us get back. Shortly after 48 hours he did his spell, my boyfriend started sending me messages again and I felt horrible for what he just put up. He was then a more important person in his life and he knows it now. We moved in and he was more open to me before he started spending more time with me before. Since the DR lhionkhan, is mine, my partner is very stable, he is closer to me than before. I recommend DR ihionkhan, to anyone who needs help. [email protected] or whatsapp him on +2349068120306

• Lynne M.
    04/22/2020 09:57

It’s 2020. unbelievable .

• Love G.
    04/22/2020 00:50

Politician consumes money intended for navajo nation.

• Beverly K.
    04/21/2020 22:47

Join us...... You will have your running water

• Betty N.
    04/21/2020 22:00

Hey Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer I just saw you on the news I saw an ants eating ice cream rubbing it in people's faces and her to $25,000 refrigerators and Chuck just gave hundreds of thousands to a couple different restaurants that have only been shut down for a few weeks steakhouses not even small businesses I'm sure these people in Virginia. They're $1,200 you a****** Chuck Schumer I don't know how you live with yourself😣

• Karen K.
    04/21/2020 21:18

Appalling conditions. How is this happening? These are the "first people" Native to Americzn. How are they living this way?

• Kenneth H.
    04/21/2020 20:58

Sell a casino and buy a water system with a tower.

• Alan G.
    04/21/2020 20:45

But they keep saying it's the greatest country on earth! 🤣🤣🤣

• Butch T.
    04/21/2020 18:55

Remember these are the first people our country promised they were looking out for their best interest

• Susanne E.
    04/21/2020 18:52

This is unthinkable! Really! In America! Shame on us!