Women address realities of postpartum recovery

An ad that showed a woman’s body after birth was rejected by ABC and the Academy Awards for being too graphic. Now, women are taking to social media to shift the conversation about postpartum recovery.

The pressure for new moms

A growing movement of women – including celebrities – are taking to social media to address the realities of postpartum recovery. The postpartum period refers to the 6-to-8 week period after the birth of a baby – when new moms must recover from childbirth, adapt to changing hormones, and learn to feed and care for their newborn.

“We call it the fourth trimester. And after this, a woman is stronger and able to go out into the world, but, the deal is, and this isn't talked about either, is that the way a woman takes care of herself postpartum can directly affect the way she moves through menopause.”, Nina Phelan, from The Soulful Birth, explains.

About half of women who give birth are still in pain weeks later

Typical symptoms include heavy bleeding, abdominal cramping, hemorrhoids, and incision pain. “It was not enjoyable for me the baby stage and I did not feel I could say that because what kind of a woman does not enjoy having a baby.”, Sarah Heywood, who suffered from Post Natal depression, revealed. As many as 20% of mothers experience postpartum depression, or PPD — but only about 3% to 5% get adequate treatment.

In 2007, Brooke Shields shared her personal experience, “I'm a mother of two daughters and after the birth of my first daughter I suffered acutely from postpartum depression. The biggest tragedy of all of this was that I did not know that I had postpartum depression. I did know that I wanted to die. I did know that I was incapable of holding or looking at or kissing or smelling or singing to my perfect, tiny little baby. I just couldn't fathom that I would have something called postpartum depression.”

Women who are postpartum need more care and advice

A study finds that the peak in maternal deaths by suicide happens between 9 and 12 months postpartum. While routine postpartum care in the U.S. usually consists of 1 visit with the doctor at around 6 weeks after birth.

Brut.

02/14/2020 8:54 PM
  • 141.3k

• Wil G.
    5 days

So why have kids?

• Kassii B.
    03/11/2020 22:14

Dont want to scare you but..

• Danielle S.
    03/10/2020 23:05

My jaw drop was when she said how a mother's body is handled during post-partum has an effect on menopause. I've never heard that before!

• Christopher M.
    03/10/2020 10:14

That "pressurre" comes from other wahmen.

• Rick R.
    03/09/2020 22:28

Makes you wonder how we made it through hundreds of thousands, or millions, of years without all the modern resources.

• Stephanie L.
    03/09/2020 22:13

Wow this is so real. So many people don't understand it either.

• Judith C.
    03/07/2020 14:56

Guess I was blessed-had 4 kids in 5 years, went back to work when number 3 was 3 weeks old.

• Jeanne T.
    03/06/2020 19:32

Brave women. Brave brave amazingly brave women. Thank you for another major truth in our world experience.

• Raysha A.
    03/05/2020 04:30

I swear to god where I work at they want you back to work as soon as you have the baby. Gotta love corporate companies.

• Rebecca S.
    03/04/2020 14:37

Postpartum depression is a side effect of the drugs used to induce. Birth was never meant to be a Dr money making operation. We need to educate before we procreate.

• Melissa D.
    03/03/2020 22:12

After giving birth, a womans body goes through a process just like labor. The pain you feel is the cervix contracting back down to it's original size. Those contractions are just as bad. Mostly, it doesnt seem that way because the adrenaline a woman has during actual labor lasts for hours. Bleeding after giving birth is not an easy task. Everytime you move it's more present. Mom goes home with her newborn, and must take on the tasks of being a mom to another human, continuing keeping up her house work, and of she had other children continuing keeping up with their needs. Society will say it's all a natural thing to endure and mom should resume normal activities shortly after. Mothers say, FU lol How about having a c section? That recovery is much worse! It's so important to have a support system in place. Shopping, laundry, cooking, older children care,etc. No mom can be her best if she isnt taken care of first, and that's a fact!!!

• Strong K.
    03/01/2020 17:50

I don't feel the pressure 🤷 Who cares about your body or if you're a good parent. As long as you TRY to do right you're fine.

• Erin G.
    02/18/2020 17:17

, make sure to reach out for help if ever you need it. I suffered from this and it's a terrible feeling.

• Harry A.
    02/17/2020 18:52

Phoebe?!

• Marla H.
    02/15/2020 18:57

Yes I did discover the heavy bleeding after giving birth. I never heard about it before how strange is this. And the cramps and the pain for at least a month after. And u have to breastfeed n taking care of ur baby and do the shopping and cleaning ur house. This is the hardest thing I ever done and I think it's unbelievable that no one talks about its such a taboo in society

• Carrie M.
    02/15/2020 13:14

it's ...real

• Pierre M.
    02/15/2020 06:47

It depends on the woman. Every body is different. My wife went back to work two weeks after having our first baby. She struggled way more with breastfeeding than with the recovery. In my experience, babies aren't as hard a job as popular culture will have us believe. As a husband I would say it is important to prioritize the mom and everything she has to go through after giving birth. I took care of the baby as a way of taking care of her. There is no doubt that in reproduction women have by far the worst part.

• Ogbe A.