Alabaman turned terrorist: This is Omar Hammami

This journalist spent over a year speaking to one of FBI's most wanted terrorists. This is a glimpse into the mind of American jihadist Omar Hammami.

One of the FBI's most wanted terrorists.

Journalist Christof Putzel spent more than a year talking to him. Omar Hammami was born and raised in Daphne, Alabama, but ended up fighting alongside Al-Shabaab, who is basically the African version of Al-Qaeda. The 2 had initially been in contacted because Hammami wanted the journalist to release his autobiography. “I think Omar reached out to me because, one, he saw that I had done this huge profile on him. And at the end of the day, he was a bit of a narcissist and likes the attention. I also think that he saw my take on Somalia as being very fair and accurate.”, Putzel tells Brut.

Sharing the conversations the 2 had 7 years after Hammami’s death in 2013, Putzel decided to reveal in a podcast the conversations the two had. He explained why it took him so long to release the conversations stating, “I think for the first time I got so close to a story that I didn't know how to make sense of it, and I wasn't sure what it said about me. And it took many years for me to process it where I was ready to tell the story the rest of the world.”

Hammami’s background Hammami grew up in a Baptist church. He converted to Islam when he was 15. Hammami radicalized gradually. He first dropped out of college. Then he moved to Canada, married a Somali-Canadian woman, joined Al-Shabaab in Somalia. From 2006 to 2013, Hammami served as a commander, propagandist, and recruiter within Al-Shabaab in Somalia. He addressed English speakers in his videos. But he started to speak out against Al-Shabaab leaders and invalidated their doctrine. Hammami became isolated on the run.

“Omar reached out to me when he actually thought that he was going to get killed and he had a right to be concerned because al-Shabaab was starting to kill off the foreign fighters or anyone who questioned them, including within their own ranks.”, Putzel reveals.

What to take away from this story “I'm careful to cast Omar as somebody who is some kind of hero, really speaking up for everything that was wrong, because at the end of the day, I don't know if Omar would've found justification for certain actions when they were in his favor… One of the important things that we wanted to get across in this story was this is not a piece about Islam and what can happen if you get really in Islam, this is about a personality.”, Putzel concludes.

Brut.

02/11/2020 6:17 PMupdated: 02/11/2020 6:20 PM
  • 609.8k

• Cobra K.
    2 days

So he wanted to be a terrorist but it failed him as he’s a foreigner and they were getting killed? Lol GG

• Solan I.
    5 days

Eye opener for those who want to join the Jihad, dont know what they are fighting for

• Maydhane M.
    07/25/2020 10:49

Islaam and Muslims are against these "Terrorist groups" 1- They behave in an unislamic way 2- They kill more Muslims then non Muslims 3- They manipulate people into thinking that this is a Jihad and etc but in the end, once you join them, there is no way out.

• Kumar B.
    07/22/2020 01:49

i think you have link with terrorist, the way you share terrorists videos is clearly shows that you love terror & terrorist.

• Garaad W.
    07/02/2020 01:29

May his soul rest in pradises

• Rebekah S.
    06/21/2020 19:40

Trevor Thomas,if u dont like America then get out!!

• Andrew B.
    06/21/2020 18:47

He was just an [email protected]

• Eduardo L.
    06/20/2020 05:04

REST IN PEACE🙏😇🙏

• Saif A.
    06/15/2020 15:57

If american citezen kills people in somalia he is a hero according to this journalist but when somali kills in america they are definately terrorist.

• Alex V.
    06/15/2020 09:45

Still a piece of schit murdering coward

• Abdul A.
    06/08/2020 08:51

Religion is a tunnel that you can't see the end and how dip you go that dark it get . Let's find humanity out of philosophy and ideology . I'm father of 5 and school is very important place that they absorb the knowledge and very unusual things that can go in different directions sometime very dangerous and tragic.

• Ageel S.
    06/01/2020 02:21

Sad

• شعیب ا.
    05/30/2020 12:43

There are two types of terrorists 1) Omar 2) Country like USA Omar fight in group and kill hundred Country like USA fight as nation and kill millions

• Thomas S.
    05/27/2020 19:35

I love what you say , but do not believe it ! Statistics show that Muslims overwhelmingly support sharia , and this nothing more than a license for violence and murder . In every Muslim Country except for Turkey over 80% of all the people support sharia , so either you represent the 20% who do not support honor killings , the innocent killings of Christians , any and all terrorism , ect . , or you are practicing taqiyya ? Do you think that we know not what you do and what this means ? 😂😂😂 To all of those people I say , Bring it on . We know your strategy . We have prepared for every contingency and will defend, retaliate and destroy our enemies accordingly. Thinking you can fool us is brilliant for us , especially when you believe you have fooled us . Only to find that it is we who have lured you into a trap . By the time you figure this out , it will be too late for you . Do you support sharia ? If no , then publicly denounce sharia and its violent and inhuman tenants ! I shall await your response , Zohaib

• Luthgard A.
    05/27/2020 16:57

• Herbert J.
    05/26/2020 15:52

Muslim 💩💩💩🎚🎚🎚

• Juca S.
    05/17/2020 21:41

Flipping PIG

• Nathaniel Z.
    05/17/2020 12:09

Omar is a terrorist

• Osman S.
    05/16/2020 10:34

"I would have said something if Omar was planning something in America" but not in Somalia or any where else you miserable reporter you tainted like the terrorist you were investigating shame on you.

• JN H.