The life of Senator Amy Klobuchar

From corporate attorney to Minnesota’s first woman senator, she has never lost an election. Now, she's running for president. This is the life of Amy Klobuchar.

Could she rise to the top?

“That is what America is all about. And I am running for president because I don't want to see our communities fracture anymore. I truly believe that we're better than this and we can bring people together that we can get things done.”

She’s never lost an election. She has a record of working across the aisle in the Senate. Now, she's running for president. This is Senator Amy Klobuchar.

Amy Jean Klobuchar was born in 1960 in Minnesota

Her mother was a teacher, and her father was a newspaper columnist. At 15, her parents divorced. Her father struggled with alcoholism while she was growing up. While attending Yale University, Klobuchar interned for former Vice President Walter Mondale, who became a lifelong friend and mentor.

After graduating from the University of Chicago Law School, she worked as a corporate lawyer

In 1993, she married fellow attorney John Bessler. At 35, she was kicked out of a hospital just 24 hours after giving birth to her daughter, Abigail. This experience inspired her to move into politics, and she became an advocate for extending hospital stays to 48 hours for all new mothers. Discussing this experience, she describes, “Some of the lobbyists were trying to delay it and so I brought six pregnant women to the conference committee that were friends of mine. And they outnumbered the lobbyists 2 to 1. And when the legislators said, ‘When should this bill take effect?’ And the pregnant moms all raised their hands and said, ‘Now.’ And it didn't even wait until August 1, it went into effect the day the governor signed it.” It became law in Minnesota and President Bill Clinton later signed a similar law on a federal level in 1996.

At 38, she was elected as the top prosecutor for Minnesota’s most populous county

But she’s faced scrutiny over the prosecution of black teenager Myron Burrell, who was sentenced to life in prison for the murder of 11-year-old Tyesha Edwards. An Associated Press investigation found the case was flawed, and Burrell could be innocent. She spoke about it on ABC’s The View. “I’ve been very clear. All of the past and new evidence must be reviewed in that case.”, she stated.

In 2006, at 46, she ran for Senate and won

She became Minnesota’s first woman senator. In the Senate, she’s known as a moderate who champions issues that attract bipartisan support —like lowering the cost of prescription drugs. But there are also reports that she’s a difficult boss, has a high staff turnover rate, and faced allegations by former staffers of demeaning and aggressive behavior. At 58, she raised her national profile during a hearing for Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh. In 2018, she was re-elected to the Senate by a massive 24 points. At 58, she announced her candidacy for president. Her platform focuses on a centrist message and her Midwestern popularity could help Democrats win critical battleground states to defeat President Trump.

Brut.

02/26/2020 12:12 AMupdated: 02/26/2020 1:38 PM
  • 26.0k

• Noel S.
    03/01/2020 01:34

She win

• Darryl B.
    02/29/2020 17:35

I have no problems with the candidates who ever it is dey getting my vote

• Mark F.
    02/29/2020 13:31

You are not not in Minnesota anymore.

• Paul D.
    02/28/2020 21:54

Bye bye felicia

• Paul D.
    02/28/2020 21:53

And your an idiot to boot..who cares about your personal life

• John C.
    02/28/2020 20:39

She is a nutcase. LMAO!!! AMERICA FIRST! TRUMP 2020.

• Elvin H.
    02/28/2020 13:52

She the police...

• Jim A.
    02/28/2020 11:08

Get ready to loose youre first election

• Elroy H.
    02/28/2020 03:14

Sacrifice a black man's freedom for her own personal gain, called out on it and still won't do the right thing

• Mariaiva F.
    02/28/2020 01:22

I have 7 children that was born in the United States and are still residing there with their father. I was a victim of dimestic violence. My husband is a citizen, born and raised. We met in American Samoa, dated and married in 1983. Our two eldest were born here in American Samoa. When my son was born which was my second child, he was born with asthma. He was constantly in and out of the hospital. His doctor recommended for my husband to take him to the States cause some asthma are caused by climate. He said that it's too humid here and that my sons' breathing is too congested for this weather. My husband took my son and I stayed behind because I am Tongan I need a Visa to travel. My son's health improved right away so my husband and my son stayed abroad. They left in September of 1985 my son was 3months at the time. I got my Visa in 1986 and join them in August. It was a temporary Visa. Needless to say that things turned ugly from there on out. The abuse started and the controlling began. I wated to return back with my children but he wouldn't allow it. I had no source of income and not only that he said that his children are U.S. citizen and that he will deport me without my children. I had to endure the abuse because I feared losing my children. We had 10 children together but he had 4 children with another woman during our marriage. When I was delivering my number eighth child the doctor asked my husband. Didn't I just delivered your twin Monday? His twins were still in the hospital due to premature. His answers were yes but this is my wife. I was so hurt and so ashame that I just wanted to die. He then moved his woman and children to live with us without consulting me with these words. Deal with it or you will never see your kids again. I had enough in 2003 when I was pregnant with our number ten. I got help from my family with my fare and my 4 younger children and I flee from him and left him with our 5 older children. I spoke with them and explain to them the situation and they agree for me to leave cause they are old enough to deal with their dad. My oldest was 19 at the time and my son was 18. They wanted me to be free from their dad but at the same time we will be separated. Since 2003 I have not seen them nor my grandchildren. I've applied for a visa twice but was denied both times. As a mothers wish to see her children and grandchildren is heart broken. Please help me with my situation. My othed 4 cildren that I brought with me plus the youngest that I delivered here in American Samoa are all in the States. Living life without your children is like living in hell.i can only pray for their safety and hope to see them someday. They want to come visit but it's too expensive for them. Please help a mother out. What can I do? Where should I go for help? Sincerely

• Nick P.
    02/28/2020 00:11

She's dope

• Alvin J.
    02/27/2020 22:02

She will lose her first election. That part is missing from the video.

• Kevin M.
    02/27/2020 09:42

Nope.

• Jenn S.
    02/27/2020 00:55

Trump Pence 2020

• Jenn S.
    02/27/2020 00:54

A racist democrat

• Dhruba S.
    02/27/2020 00:13

Best of luck

• Joann J.
    02/26/2020 23:09

I wouldn't vote for her if she supports radicals .

• Odine D.
    02/26/2020 21:10

Why is she still in the race, we'll never know!!

• Joey B.