retour

Christmas magic without Santa

Can you keep the magic in Christmas without Santa? This astrophysicist has a few ideas.

Christmas No Matter What Children Believe

Should you tell your kids that Santa exists? Kelsey Johnson arrow is an astrophysicist — and a mother of 3. She’s decided not to tell her kids that Santa is real. Santa can be re-thought as an exercise in critical thinking, instead of being a myth, according to Johnson. For parents worried their kids will miss out on Christmas magic, she has a few ideas. The downside of making your kids believe in Santa. For this scientist and parent, Christmas can be used as a tool to develop your kid’s critical thinking. According to Johnson, these are ways to make a Santa-less Christmas a meaningful holiday.

If we're relying on something, we know to be false, to give our children a sense of imagination and magic. I think we're failing as parents and we're failing as a society. There are so many things you can do with your children that are magical and wondrous and factually true. Kids are pretty astute observers and it's important for that one of the most important of information for children are people who they think are authorities. I don't want to say it always is a problem, but it can be pretty devastating for kids when they find out that someone whom they have trusted as authority has lied to them.

Breaking the News

When one of my children was in first grade, they got in a very heated debate with one of their classmates. And heated debates in first grade are really quite something about whether or not Santa was real. And they decided to go to the local authority. And the local authority was, of course, the classroom teacher. And instead of saying, you know, this puts the classroom teacher in a pretty tight spot because what is the teacher going to say? I think maybe the best response is that the question you need to ask your parents. I don't love that answer because it's not factually correct, but I'm OK with it. Instead, what the teacher actually told the two children who were fighting over Santa was that Santa is real.

Brut.

22/12/2019 12:58

52 commentaires

• Peggy M.
    01/01/2020 04:11

Not believing in Santa will not lose the magic of Christmas. Santa didn't make the magic, the magic made Santa.

• Tyra P.
    01/01/2020 01:47

Parents should let kids be kids. They are only a kid once in their lifetime. So if they wanna believe in Santa, tooth fairy, Easter bunny, sandman then let them🤷🏻‍♀️

• Carolina T.
    28/12/2019 22:00

In south America we don't believe in Santa but we believe in the three wizard kings that come barring gifts on January 11th I think, dont remember anymore. And I love how my mom always kept them real to me, it was magical prepare food for their camels and drinks for the kings before going to sleep and then waking up to a trail of camel footsteps on the ground. I used to put my shoes up in the window and expect the gifts to be next to the shoes. They are children, and they deserve to have some magic atleast for a little bit

• Tsahai B.
    27/12/2019 11:59

I am not for the whole season, but who should Christmas be about, Santa or Christ?

• Queensly R.
    27/12/2019 10:31

Bla bla bla....it's your problem with your devastated kids deal with why come on face book to try teach us what to tell our kids come on let go of it hmmmmmmffffffff

• Keni U.
    26/12/2019 14:48

if you are studying bible, you will learn that....there is no called christmas, because even in the bible it didnt told there when exactly Jesus was born...so there is no santa claus too.....

• Sabina S.
    26/12/2019 03:00

I was only 4 or 5 years old, when I noticed Santa was wearing Mr. Schoening's work boots - the Myth was over for me already then. Later I was reading the story of how Santa became this Celeb in the Netherlands and it began to make sense. There is a History behind this and I think, it would be o.k. to tell the kids, how it became such a popular tradition.

• Eva M.
    25/12/2019 22:11

The real reason for the season is not about Santa or the birth of Crist. But actually comes from the time of the Vikings who was celebrating the solstice - December 22 ,The return of the light for more light hours during the day. When the Book was written, the authors was searching for a occasion and choose this time of the year because it was dark and cold

• Roy C.
    25/12/2019 18:18

I have older kids and younger kids.. My oldest ones always loved that we kept Santa all real and as long as possible.. Now my younger ones love it too and still believe

• Mia R.
    25/12/2019 12:28

I tell my kids that its Jesus birthday and jesus like to share his presents on his birthday

• Mavy T.
    25/12/2019 01:33

Just to say to everyone who commented Santa is actually Saint Nicholas just reminding

• Mavy T.
    25/12/2019 01:20

Just to say Kelsey Johnson Santa is real. And maybe your being a bad example to your kids by lying and maybe your just doing that cause u experienced desame thing during your childhood

• Gerson G.
    25/12/2019 00:56

Wait, Santa isn't real?

• Altagracia P.
    24/12/2019 22:08

She doesn't sa A WORD about the real meaning of Christmas, it3not about trees and presents or Santa... It's about the birth of Christ, maybe if you want to tell the truth to the kids you can start by telli g them that God gave us the biggest present of all...

• Vince D.
    24/12/2019 21:20

I just tell them, internet is created by Santa to monitor what they search in internet.

• Kenji N.
    24/12/2019 18:30

Crazy how grown adults can defend lying to children so passionately. Lying isn’t magic, it’s malice. Stop lying to children already.

• Jeff M.
    24/12/2019 15:28

yes, its called JESUS

• Anuj S.
    24/12/2019 09:05

Whats the problem?

• Lois G.
    23/12/2019 23:19

me and my kids know that santa isnt real and that he is never the star of the season.

• Mee S.
    23/12/2019 17:56

Oh brother....another grownup trying to get rid of what little magic kids have .... This lady with all her knowledge .....I'm just shaking my head ...

Inscrivez-vous gratuitement à myBrut, la newsletter de Brut.

Inscrivez-vous gratuitement à myBrut, la newsletter de Brut.

En continuant, vous acceptez de recevoir des e-mails de Brut.