Christmas magic without Santa

Can you keep the magic in Christmas without Santa? This astrophysicist has a few ideas.

Christmas No Matter What Children Believe

Should you tell your kids that Santa exists? Kelsey Johnson arrow is an astrophysicist — and a mother of 3. She’s decided not to tell her kids that Santa is real. Santa can be re-thought as an exercise in critical thinking, instead of being a myth, according to Johnson. For parents worried their kids will miss out on Christmas magic, she has a few ideas. The downside of making your kids believe in Santa. For this scientist and parent, Christmas can be used as a tool to develop your kid’s critical thinking. According to Johnson, these are ways to make a Santa-less Christmas a meaningful holiday.

If we're relying on something, we know to be false, to give our children a sense of imagination and magic. I think we're failing as parents and we're failing as a society. There are so many things you can do with your children that are magical and wondrous and factually true. Kids are pretty astute observers and it's important for that one of the most important of information for children are people who they think are authorities. I don't want to say it always is a problem, but it can be pretty devastating for kids when they find out that someone whom they have trusted as authority has lied to them.

Breaking the News

When one of my children was in first grade, they got in a very heated debate with one of their classmates. And heated debates in first grade are really quite something about whether or not Santa was real. And they decided to go to the local authority. And the local authority was, of course, the classroom teacher. And instead of saying, you know, this puts the classroom teacher in a pretty tight spot because what is the teacher going to say? I think maybe the best response is that the question you need to ask your parents. I don't love that answer because it's not factually correct, but I'm OK with it. Instead, what the teacher actually told the two children who were fighting over Santa was that Santa is real.

Brut.

12/22/2019 12:58 PM

• Violet W.
    12/26/2020 20:43

You raise your kids your way but please remember that not everyone is as rude as you to not allow a children to be children. Kids grow up to fast as it is please keep your opinion ms to yourself and shut your hole

• Boyd H.
    12/25/2020 22:52

Before all these shrinks and doctors started telling us what we should tell or teach our kids, our parents did their job and I would guess the majority of us were told of Santa and for the most part we’re a pretty good bunch. Aren’t we?

• Lee B.
    12/25/2020 18:08

yeah tell them about santa the tooth fairy and then when they lie too you you won't have a leg to stand on

• Crystal H.
    12/25/2020 16:50

I enjoyed believing in Santa. It worked.my imagination and I help on to the fantasy for a couple years after I knew Santa want real I had 6 kids. They enjoyed it too. No one said it wasn't real they just came to understand. My youngest son is 10. He told me this year he liked that I pretended to be Santa.❤️ So, I don't think any harm was done I think it's was good.

• Connie M.
    12/25/2020 16:38

Oh bahhumbug. wadr political correctness vs believing in miricles? I choose Santa, and I've known he's not a jolly old elf with flying reindeer who comes around every year since I was 8 or 9. Believing in good is so much better than being politically correct, jmo.

• Boyd H.
    12/25/2020 14:52

As long as you believe in Santa he is real, much like God

• Charles S.
    12/25/2020 14:29

Agree with her...

• Norell N.
    12/25/2020 13:53

I understand her statement, but not every child is like hers and or has that reaction.. I would also say that the percentage of children that love Santa’s magic and adjusted to the truth when older are a lot higher than her children or type of child. ( I could be wrong ) The magic with the suggestions she mentioned is a great idea, at the same time as parents we can incorporate both into our children’s lives.

• Tyra P.
    01/01/2020 01:47

Parents should let kids be kids. They are only a kid once in their lifetime. So if they wanna believe in Santa, tooth fairy, Easter bunny, sandman then let them🤷🏻‍♀️

• Carolina T.
    12/28/2019 22:00

In south America we don't believe in Santa but we believe in the three wizard kings that come barring gifts on January 11th I think, dont remember anymore. And I love how my mom always kept them real to me, it was magical prepare food for their camels and drinks for the kings before going to sleep and then waking up to a trail of camel footsteps on the ground. I used to put my shoes up in the window and expect the gifts to be next to the shoes. They are children, and they deserve to have some magic atleast for a little bit

• Tsahai B.
    12/27/2019 11:59

I am not for the whole season, but who should Christmas be about, Santa or Christ?

• Queensly R.
    12/27/2019 10:31

Bla bla bla....it's your problem with your devastated kids deal with why come on face book to try teach us what to tell our kids come on let go of it hmmmmmmffffffff

• Keni U.
    12/26/2019 14:48

if you are studying bible, you will learn that....there is no called christmas, because even in the bible it didnt told there when exactly Jesus was born...so there is no santa claus too.....

• Sabina S.
    12/26/2019 03:00

I was only 4 or 5 years old, when I noticed Santa was wearing Mr. Schoening's work boots - the Myth was over for me already then. Later I was reading the story of how Santa became this Celeb in the Netherlands and it began to make sense. There is a History behind this and I think, it would be o.k. to tell the kids, how it became such a popular tradition.

• Mia R.
    12/25/2019 12:28

I tell my kids that its Jesus birthday and jesus like to share his presents on his birthday

• Gerson G.
    12/25/2019 00:56

Wait, Santa isn't real?

• Altagracia P.
    12/24/2019 22:08

She doesn't sa A WORD about the real meaning of Christmas, it3not about trees and presents or Santa... It's about the birth of Christ, maybe if you want to tell the truth to the kids you can start by telli g them that God gave us the biggest present of all...

• Vince D.
    12/24/2019 21:20

I just tell them, internet is created by Santa to monitor what they search in internet.

• Kenji N.
    12/24/2019 18:30

Crazy how grown adults can defend lying to children so passionately. Lying isn’t magic, it’s malice. Stop lying to children already.

• Jeff M.