Teacher fired for being gay fights back

This Florida teacher was fired from a Christian school because she's gay. Now, she fights for equal rights in the workplace.

“My being gay is who I am”

Monica Toro Lisciandro used to teach drama at this Christian school in Florida until they found out she was a lesbian.

“I think it’s an unfair dismissal to dismiss someone for being gay at a Christian school because my being gay is who I am. It has nothing to do with my day-to-day teaching. It’s just an inherent part of my being. Just like me being Puerto Rican. I could not be in a relationship, I could not attend Pride, and I would still be gay. So, it really has nothing to do with my teaching.”, she tells Brut.

The accusations

“On October 2, I go into the head of school and assistant principal’s office, and they say that they have received allegations against me.”, she shared. A parent had told the school that Monica was in a relationship with a woman, had attended LGBT+ Pride events, and hosted LGBT+ friendly events at her dance studio.

“When she says that, I really have a moment of: ‘What am I going to say?’ Because for so many years, I was afraid to truly be myself, and I knew that I had to be truthful. And so, I say, ‘It’s true.” And so, they say to me that if I am gay, I cannot teach at the school. Covenant Christian School non-discrimination policy admits students of any race, color and national and ethnic origin to all activities… It says that it does not discriminate against these things and… what it leaves out is sexual orientation.”, she reveals.

In the U.S., only 21 states prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity

In the spring of 2020, the Supreme Court is expected to rule on whether the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which bars employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, and national origin, applies to discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.

“Covenant Christian School receives almost a million dollars in worth of funding, public funding, taxpayer money, and they’re still able to discriminate. And that’s been a huge eye-opener for a lot of people in this particular community. Legally, against my dismissal, I can do nothing. I want the law to change and for there to be equal protection because of the future generations. Right now, what we’re facing, nobody should have to face. Again. We have to change this for the kids who are coming up because it can’t continue on this way. There has to be equality for everyone.”, she acknowledges.

Florida lawmakers have failed to pass an anti-LGBTQ+ discrimination act for a decade

But a new version of the bill, which Monica advocates for, is expected to garner more bipartisan support. “Here I was, staring in the face of something ugly, and forced to make a choice that no queer person wants to make: to hide, to stay silent, to be pressured into shaming myself for who I am. But I wasn’t going to do it anymore. And I want my students to see that you cannot be quiet in the face of injustice”, she admits.

Monica’s Christian faith remains unshaken, but she wants churches to become more inclusive

“You can be gay and Christian. I don’t think that it’s either or. I think it can be both things. And I know that there are people that don’t feel that way, but there are also people who thought that it was wrong for a black person and a white person to get married in a church not too long ago. So, things can change, and gay people as a whole really struggle to find acceptance within the church, and I hope that that can change.”, she concludes.

Brut.

02/21/2020 2:58 PM

• Sondra M.
    03/08/2020 00:09

Why would you think it ok to go against the TRUTH. Ppl playing with God. Smh 🤦🏼‍♀️

• Sophia P.
    02/29/2020 16:51

It's a Christian school so if u r a gay then u don't belong there Christian don't believe in same sex relationship so u have to respect there policy

• RudiLanie R.
    02/28/2020 21:57

Well it's a "Christian" school so why work there in the beginning?.. expect to be kicked out if you lie then get caught later.. that's like a thief applying as a cashier.. offcourse the store owner wouldn't be too happy finding out of his thieving background would he?

• Jacki V.
    02/28/2020 18:49

Why would she want to work in a Christian school anyway? She knew before she was hired what Christian standards are it is not a secret. However, did she keep her sexual identity a secret on purpose and if she did she was hired on false pretense. If she kept her secret out of school she would likely still be working. This is nothing more than a political stunt against freedom OF religion.

• La V.
    02/28/2020 18:24

Its a christian school . they dont believe in that so why would u want to work there? Be gay somewhere else. I have nothing againtnthe gay community but she need to understand that they live by the book. An thats not allowed.

• Michelle M.
    02/28/2020 12:41

I believe it is the school's right who they accept, and because they are a Christian School, they have their beliefs and rules, and that should be respected.

• Judy H.
    02/28/2020 11:50

she wasn't fighting before it affected her, guess it didn't matter before .

• Su B.
    02/28/2020 10:47

My mother's whole reaction to my gay friends was "God doesn't make mistakes." She said it when I was 14 and defended it with born again Christian relatives and friends. "If they believe that God made us in his image then everyone he made is wonderful. To believe anything else would be accusing God of making a mistake. God doesn't make mistakes." So, who are these folks who believe they know more than God and isn't that being "proud" which is one of the seven deadly sins? Isn't this a WWJD moment?

• Maud T.
    02/28/2020 03:11

Why doesn't she look for work in a public school? Did she disclose the fact before being hired? What if a child asked her about being a homosexual, would she lie or would she go against the teaching of the school? The key word here is Christian School. We want to force our choices on others BUT we don't want others to say "no, I don't share your belief. Homosexuals and Transgenders are always taking others to court. I don't hear from the schools and other businesses taking the H and T to court. Why is that?

• Bree S.
    02/27/2020 16:45

You probably shouldn't work at chik-fil-a either 😉 This is silly. They would fire you if you were a part time stripper too and nobody would think that was wrong. They are entitled to employ someone who upholds the lifestyle they choose to support.

• Melanio R.
    02/27/2020 14:21

drama teacher hahahahahaa

• Judith K.
    02/27/2020 12:33

Here is the important point of clearly defining the word Christian. The most important point of following Christ is a denial of sin nature to walk according to the Spirit. She wants to hold on to her Sin nature and consider herself a follower of Christ who only did the will of his Father. She is right her earthly sensual devilish nature is the perpencity for homosexuality that she obviously does not want to accept as Crucified. Consider yourself dead to sin and alive in Christ. Her hand that needs cut off for the Kingdom of Gods sake is her sexuality. She could seek to become a non sexual person for the Kingdom of God’s sake. She thinks she can be Christian without confessing her sin nature. If we say we have no sin we are a liar and the truth is not in us. Her cross to bear to follow Jesus. Why do homosexuals push to work at Places clearly defined according to religion? Very sarcastically I say Good luck redefining Christianity With Jesus and Heavenly Father. So tell yourself the truth concerning your Disordered nature impulse. The Bible is clear your lust for a woman is not natural it is however a common sin perpencity. It isn’t based on our feelings it is based on our teaching. Our personal feelings are not God. Nature still witnesses the correct relationship is Man ( male) and Womb-man ( female). Homosexuals want their own exclusivity to be no need to sacrifice their sexual preference. They are in the same boat with fornicators and Adulterers along with all sexual liciviousness. I do get their point because of Society’s acceptance of all the heterosexual sexual sin fullness while excluding homosexuals.

• Natalie A.
    02/27/2020 05:32

Wow! It is no employers right to know or judge what a person does in their private life or who they love. It saddens me that discrimination and bigotry are still so pervasive. Believe whatever hateful thing you want but it isn't your right to impose your feelings through termination or any action that affects the livelihood of another. On a side note... Whatever happened to " judgment is reserved for God alone?"

• Anchy R.
    02/27/2020 05:29

It's a CHRISTIAN SCHOOL , GO TO ANOTHER SCHOOL TO TEACH .. STOP WASTING YOUR TIME 👌

• Sinapioa A.
    02/27/2020 04:29

I'm sorry to say this sister, to be honest according to the Bible it's against the Will of God. It's not a man's law it's God's Law whether you like it or not you cannot disobey God's Law cause the penalty is death in the fire. It's your soul sister. You choose what you desire or face the hot fire eternally. God bless

• Marian Y.
    02/27/2020 02:35

That where you are wrong! No, go start your own school. This gay agenda is being shoved down ppl throat, while Christianity is be made to be quiet. No Maam!

• Edith D.
    02/26/2020 20:35

If she was fired, apparently she did meet the requirements

• Gina D.
    02/26/2020 18:35

why go to or work at a christian school if they don't accept you? that should be a big clue right there. is this the kind of place you want to be? it this really christianity?

• Darryl B.
    02/26/2020 12:24

Christian schools absolutely should have the right to govern themselves according to their values, as spelled out by their holy books. Books written, by the way, 2 to 4 thousand years ago, by bronze age goat hearders who had less worldly knowledge than a 5 year old today does. But-! A caveat, of course, is that religious institutions still have to follow the law of the land, especially if they receive funding from public dollars, or tax breaks. If religion wants autonomy, then be autonomous.

• Achgood D.
    02/26/2020 08:12

You need to be out before you disvirgin all the female pupils with your fingers!!